Y Tŵr JubilÓ/Jubilee Tower excavation 2013 :: Shared Description

The Egyptian styled tower was built in 1810, to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of King George III, but then it collapsed during a storm around 1860. It was still surrounded by rubble in the 1960s, but in 1969 work was carried out to tidy it up and to create steps at each corner. More recently it was obvious to visitors that the access to the top was deteriorating. The councils started a Clwydian Range's Heather and Hillforts Project in 2004 and received support in the form of a £2m Heritage Lottery Fund grant. In 2009 a formal report into the state of the tower was commissioned by Flintshire and Denbighshire County Councils, and in 2013 the last of the Lottery grant is being used to excavate one corner of the tower and to repair and consolidate the stonework. This will be the first time one of the corner bastions has been seen for over 100 years.




by John S Turner
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

4 images use this description:

SJ1662 : Excavating the Jubilee Tower #3 - Feb 2013 by John S Turner
SJ1662 : Excavating the Jubilee Tower #2 - Feb 2013 by John S Turner
SJ1662 : Excavating the Jubilee Tower #1 - Feb 2013 by John S Turner
SJ1662 : Jubilee Tower, Moel Famau by Jeff Buck


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Thu, 28 Feb 2013, Updated: Thu, 28 Feb 2013

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2013 John S Turner, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.