Bishopstone Parish :: Shared Description

Bishopstone is a small coastal parish that lies between Newhaven to the west, Denton to the north, Alfriston to the east and East Blatchington, later Seaford, to the south. Part of the western corner containing Brooklands was lost to Newhaven in 1934. Much of the parish is chalk downland with Rookery Hill providing a shelter for a former tidal inlet that snaked round to the current site of the village. To the west lies the brooks that once formed the River Ouse tidal estuary and the course of the river itself until the 16th century.

Its location means settlement in the area can be traced back to the Neolithic period with many archaeological finds discovering artefacts from all the major periods after and was being farmed by the time of the arrival of the Romans. The Saxons were also prominent initially basing themselves on Rookery Hill in the aftermath of their invasions before expanding in the centuries after. By the early 8th century the manor was important enough to be handed over to the Bishops of Chichester from whence the settlement derives its name, 'farm of the bishops'. They retained ownership until the dissolution when the manor reverted to the Crown who held it until the 16th century when they passed it on to the Pelham family who remained owners until the 20th century. Consequently over a 1000 years as an estate village meant change has been slow and contained and only from the 1930s did expansion begin to start with plans to build another large seaside settlement similar to nearby Peacehaven. A new station was built on Hawth Hill around which a nucleus of the new town was started and another road, Grand Avenue was laid out. However, the Second World War put a temporary halt to these plans which then ended when tougher planning laws were passed in 1947. The only building since then was in the 1960s on Rookery Hill.

The parish originally contained one hamlet, Norton, to the north of Bishopstone which developed around Norton Farm, and was large enough to possess its own chapel by the medieval period. Since then the hamlet has shrunk to a cluster of houses around the farm. Another centre of settlement sprung up in 1768 when a large tide mill opened on an old course of the River Ouse. The site was extended in the first decade of the 19th century under the ownership of William Catt who also built dwellings for his staff and took an interest in the welfare of the small community. The mill remained prosperous until the 1850s and 60s when the development of Newhaven harbour cut off access for boats and though a new station and siding was provided the long decline of the mill set in, assisted by a ruinous storm of 1875 and the eventual truncating of Mill Creek. The mill was closed in 1883 and demolished in 1900. However the community remained and the population numbered 75 in 1911 no doubt employed in the docks or other industries in nearby Newhaven. In 1920 the site was taken over and used for stabling racehorses and Chailey Heritage built a small hospital nearby. However, by the 1930s all of the houses were declared unfit for habitation and much of the population moved out in 1937. The last inhabitant, a member of the Home Guard, left in July 1940. The remaining buildings were demolished by the military though some survived to 1947.

The River Ouse ran through the parish during the medieval period as a shingle bank running west to east diverted the mouth away from its original spot under Castle Hill. The course often shifted due to the movement of the shingle and may have ran as far east as the side of Rookery Hill. A combination of storms and the inning of the Laughton Levels and Brooks further upstream which reduced the power of the river's scour at the mouth had rendered Seaford useless as a port and a new cut was made at the old Roman mouth in the 16th century though this too was soon pushed eastwards by longshore drift and followed the course of Mill Creek entering the sea wherever the river was strong enough to push through the shingle. The mouth was recut permanently in the 18th century. Between Rookery Hill and Hawth hill is a flat valley that was once the location of a tidal creek which ran up to a few wharves near the village centre. This had largely disappeared by the end of the 16th century though the former sea cliff can still be made out.

The main road running through the parish is the A259 part of an ancient route that follows the eastern side of the river to Seaford and is now the main road between that town and nearby Newhaven, and originally headed south around Hawth Hill and ran along the coast. However, constant closures during rough weather and a narrow bridge induced the council to construct the Buckle Bypass in 1963. Heading north eastwards off this highway is the road to the village itself though the current route is originally the drive to Bishopstone Place which was demolished in 1831. This lane continues north of the village to Norton whereupon it becomes a bridleway through Poverty Bottom. An older route containing that bridleway, the lane between Norton and Bishopstone and another bridleway known as Silver Lane which continues on to the neighbouring village of East Blatchington was the medieval through route.

The railway arrived in 1864 as an extension from Newhaven to Seaford and a station was built at Tide Mills which served the parish as a whole. This was superseded by a new station opened in 1939 which was designed to serve the new community planned for the Downs in the immediate vicinity, though the old station continued on to 1942 having been renamed Bishopstone Beach. An hexagonal gun emplacement was added to the roof of the new station on the outbreak of the war.
by Simon Carey
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

148 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TQ4701 : The Beacon/Tenant Laine by Simon Carey
TQ4700 : Cleavers by Simon Carey
TQ4500 : Coming Soon ... ASDA (2) by Simon Carey
TQ4701 : School House by Simon Carey
TQ4702 : Devilsrest Bottom by Simon Carey
TQ4600 : Newhaven Road by Simon Carey
TQ4500 : Par Gut by Simon Carey
TQ4701 : New Cottages by Simon Carey
TQ4601 : Hawth Furlong by Simon Carey
TQ4701 : 124-125 Bishopstone by Simon Carey
TQ4700 : Site of Bishopstone Place by Simon Carey
TQ4600 : Bishopstone Road by Simon Carey
TQ4700 : White Gate Field (3) by Simon Carey
TQ4702 : Norton Top Laine (2) by Simon Carey
TQ4701 : Watland Furlong by Simon Carey
TQ4501 : New Barn Furlong by Simon Carey
TQ4600 : Rookery Way, Rookery Hill by Simon Carey
TQ4701 : Bishopstone House by Simon Carey
TQ4700 : Dog Kennel Barn by Simon Carey
TQ4701 : Ham Field (1) by Simon Carey
TQ4700 : White Gate Field (2) by Simon Carey
TQ4500 : Former Mill Pond, Tide Mills by Simon Carey
TQ4600 : The Long Brook by Simon Carey
TQ4700 : The Long Brook (1) by Simon Carey
TQ4500 : Mill Creek by Simon Carey

... and 123 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sat, 25 Aug 2012, Updated: Sat, 25 Aug 2012

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2012 Simon Carey, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.