Norwich City (Earlham Road) Cemetery :: Shared Description

The city has two cemeteries, one on Earlham Road and the other on Rosary Road. (Rosary Road cemetery > LinkExternal link is the first ever non-denominational cemetery in the UK and was established in 1819 by Thomas Drummond, a nonconformist minister.) Earlham Road cemetery, which was established on agricultural land owned by a farmer named John Cater, is bordered by Earlham Road in the south, by Bowthorpe Road in the north and by Dereham Road in the north-east, and it is divided into two parts by Farrow Road (A140) which traverses it from north to south. Opened in 1856, the year when burials within the city were banned, the cemetery originally covered an area of 34 acres (currently 85 acres), some of which was initially put to agricultural use. At the time the burial ground opened, many families could not afford to buy a headstone for their deceased, and of the 745 burials that took place over the first 10 months only four were marked by gravestones. Although burials had increased to 1640 by the year 1890, there were still only 214 headstones. With mortality rates in the army being considerably higher than those of civilians of similar age back then, many of the dead that lie buried in unmarked graves were soldiers from the Britannia Barracks. In 1875 the Burials Board decided to designate an area expressly for the burial of soldiers. The cemetery has separate areas for different religious beliefs, two funeral chapels and a Jewish mortuary chapel. The larger and older part of the cemetery, situated to the east of Farrow Road, is Grade II listed because of its special historic interest. It has also been designated a County Wildlife Site.

In 1892, a large triangle of land adjacent in the west and comprising 40 acres was purchased from S Gurney Buxton and Edward North Buxton, the trustees of the late John Gurney. This part of the cemetery is situated on the other side of Farrow Road, which was built around 1912 and currently forms its eastern boundary. In the north it is bounded by Bowthorpe Road and Gipsy Lane forms the southern boundary. This area of the cemetery, marked on maps as Earlham Rise, was used for burials from the 1940s onwards. The Baedeker raids memorial can be found here but most of the graves are more recent.

For more information, including a plan, go to: LinkExternal link

Recommended reading:
Selected Graves from Earlham Cemetery by Françoise Donovan
Elyse Publications (2013), ISBN-13: 978-0992677305
by Evelyn Simak
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

1347 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TG2008 : The grave of Stanislaw Redzik by Evelyn Simak
TG2008 : The grave of William Thomas and Alice King by Evelyn Simak
TG2109 : The grave of HP L'Estrange by Evelyn Simak
TG2008 : A profusion of cut flowers by Evelyn Simak
TG2108 : Spanish Bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica) by Evelyn Simak
TG2008 : Old and new graves in Section MM by Evelyn Simak
TG2108 : The grave of Joshua Pearce - Salvation Army crest by Evelyn Simak
TG2109 : Old graves on the New Ground by Evelyn Simak
TG2109 : War graves on the military burial ground by Evelyn Simak
TG2108 : The gardens of remembrance by Evelyn Simak
TG2108 : Cemetery Chapel by N Chadwick
TG2108 : Late 19th century graves in Section 3 by Evelyn Simak
TG2008 : Grave decorated with many hearts by Evelyn Simak
TG2109 : The grave of George and William Watson (detail) by Evelyn Simak
TG2108 : The southern edge of Section 1 (NG) by Evelyn Simak
TG2108 : Grassy path between Sections 2 and 3 by Evelyn Simak
TG2008 : Cremation burials in Section 42 by Evelyn Simak
TG2008 : Wooden seat beside the path by Evelyn Simak
TG2108 : Sarcophagus-type stone in Section 2 by Evelyn Simak
TG2008 : Speckled Wood butterfly (Pararge aegeria) by Evelyn Simak
TG2108 : Old graves in Section AA by Evelyn Simak
TG2109 : The grave of Charles Cecil Bowman by Evelyn Simak
TG2008 : 20th century headstone in Section 48 by Evelyn Simak
TG2108 : The grave of Edwin James Lusher and Louisa Emms by Evelyn Simak
TG2008 : View across the Jewish burial ground by Evelyn Simak

... and 1322 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sun, 3 Apr 2011, Updated: Wed, 25 Apr 2018

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2011 Evelyn Simak, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.