St Mary's church, South Kelsey :: Shared Description

Grade II listed
No mention of a church is in the Domesday Book of 1084 so from the list of Rectors it is assumed that the first church on this site, St Nicholas, was built around 1190 whilst St Mary's, referred to later as Keleseie Parva (or crossroad church) was built some time later around 1228.
The building dates from 13th C. but the main body of the church was rebuilt in 1795 by William Poden with a decorated chancel and nave of four bays using much of the stonework from the previously dismantled St Nicholas. The walls were then plastered.
The church was again restored in 1889 by Mr C Hodgson Fowler, architect of Durham, the cost of £950 being paid for by the daughters of George Skipworth, Lord of the Manor, in memory of their parents. In recent years the church has been re-roofed and the porch restored.

The west window in the belfry tower is of special interest and has a plaque beneath it bearing the following words:-
"In memory of Louisa Blanche, the beloved wife of Cecil George Savile Foljambe of Cockglode and eldest daughter of Frederick John and Lady Fanny Howard. She died 7 October 1871 aged 29 and is laid with her second son in the vault of Scofton, Notts. The above window is erected by her sorrowing husband. 1877".
Note: Sadly, part of the actual window has been broken but the inscription appears to say approximately the same thing.
Cecil Foljambe was the great grandson of Francis Foljambe, who had sold the South Kelsey estates to Philip Skipworth of Aylesby some 70 years previously.
The stained glass east window was erected in 1853 as the gift of George Skipworth. Two side windows were added later and their inscription reads - "To the glory of God and in loving memory of Frederica Mary Emily only child of Frederick and Mary Frederica Brewster who died June 12th 1880 aged 19 years".

Within the north wall of the nave is a stone effigy of a knight in 13th century chain mail and cyclas (a long skirted surcoat) bearing a shield with the arms of Hansard at the time of Edward I. This may well represent Robert Hansard who distinguished himself in the Scottish Wars during Edward's reign (1271-1307). The Hansards of Walworth Castle Co. Durham became the Lords of the Manor at South Kelsey in the thirteenth century and built the original moated and fortified manor house on the Thornton Road, now replaced by Hall Farm. Walworth Castle remained in the hands of the Hansards and subsequently the Ayscough family until 1579 when it was sold to the Auditor General of Ireland.

In the chancel are the effigies in brass, formerly set into the floor, of a knight in full armour and a lady - Sir Richard Hansard, Sheriff of Lincoln in 1419 (d 1454),and his wife Joan who both lived at South Kelsey Hall and are thought to be buried in the churchyard. These two brasses are listed on the National Register.

On 6th August 1853 a new organ was installed from Forster & Andrews of Hull at a cost of £77 and for many years someone was paid to operate the organ pump but in the second half of the last century an electric blower was finally fitted.

(Church Guide)
by Julian P Guffogg

6 images use this description:

TF0498 : East Window, St Mary's church, South Kelsey by J.Hannan-Briggs
TF0498 : Interior, St Mary's church, South Kelsey by J.Hannan-Briggs
TF0498 : Stained glass window, St Mary's church, South Kelsey by J.Hannan-Briggs
TF0498 : Stained glass window detail, St Mary's church, South Kelsey by J.Hannan-Briggs
TF0498 : St Mary's church, South Kelsey by J.Hannan-Briggs
TF0498 : Stained glass window, St Mary's church, South Kelsey by J.Hannan-Briggs

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Updated: Mon, 15 Sep 2014

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2014 Julian P Guffogg, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.