SO5719 : Goodrich Castle - from the southeast

taken 3 months ago, near to Goodrich, Herefordshire, Great Britain

Goodrich Castle - from the southeast
Goodrich Castle - from the southeast
The south-eastern tower almost completely hides the C12th keep from this angle.
Goodrich Castle

Goodrich Castle as seen today dates mostly from the C13th & 14th but with a C12th Keep. Most of the castle is constructed of Red Sandstone like the bedrock upon which it stands and rises dramatically. Originally it would have been surrounded by a moat which would have hidden this underlying bedrock which is on a promontory overlooking a crossing point on the River Wye.
The castle is quadrilateral in shape with circular towers on each corner and encloses the earlier tower keep on its southern side. It has an outer ward on its north and west sides. The dry moat is now grassed. The first documentary reference to the castle connects it with a local landowner, Godric Mappestone {from whence the name Goodrich derives} around 1100 although at this time the castle was probably no more than a simple enclosure with timber palisade and tower. Unlike the rest of the castle, the keep is of Grey Sandstone. Dating from the C12th this is the oldest extant part of the castle and, dating from the Norman period is in the Romanesque style.
During the 'Anarchy' (1138-53) - the civil war between King Steven and 'The Empress' Maud (Henry I's daughter) - the keep was at the centre of increased fortifications when the Earls of Gloucester and Hereford were disputing the area. At this time Goodrich belonged to Gilbert Fitz Gilbert de Clare. It returned to royal ownership in 1176, but 28 years later King John gave Goodrich to William Marshal (the first Earl Marshal of England, see LinkExternal link ) - Cf. Link (Chepstow Castle) and TQ3181 : Temple Church - William Marshal, 1st Earl
Some while later, Goodrich passed to William de Valence whose reconstruction at the end of the C13th created the majority of the structure which survives to this day.
In the C14th Goodrich was the principal residence of the Talbot family who founded nearby Flanesford Priory (which can be seen from the top of the keep) in 1346. The curtain walls of the barbican and outer ward were added around this time. Modifications took place over the next 200 years, but by 1616, when it was sold to the Earl of Kent, the castle was disused. However, during the Civil War it was first occupied by Parliamentarians in 1643, then in 1645 by the Royalists under Sir Henry Lingen. In March, 1646, the Roundhead army (Parliamentarians) laid siege and mined under the river side of the castle. Eventually the Royalist defenders surrendered. Goodrich was "slighted" (partly demolished) to prevent its future military use.
The castle is owned and managed by English Heritage and is open to the public - see LinkExternal link
It is a listed Ancient Monument: LinkExternal link
And is of course, Grade I listed: LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rob Farrow and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO5719, 314 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 31 July, 2021   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 2 August, 2021
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Place (from Tags)
Goodrich Castle 
Primary Subject of Photo
Castle 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 5771 1996 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:52.5957N 2:36.9433W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 5774 1992
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 13 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark