SK0916 : The old High Bridge, Handsacre

taken 2 months ago, near to Handsacre, Staffordshire, Great Britain

The old High Bridge, Handsacre
The old High Bridge, Handsacre
Built in 1829-32 as a replacement for a medieval bridge. Cast at the Coalbrookdale foundry, it was at the time the longest single span bridge (140 feet) in England. In 1981 it was found to be cracking due to mining subsidence and replaced initially by a bailey bridge before the current new bridge was built. It was restored in 1996 when the abutments were stabilised, and is now only open to pedestrian and cycle traffic. Listed Grade II*. Detail of the southern spandrel.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK0916, 109 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 6 June, 2021   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 13 June, 2021
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Rivers, Streams, Drainage  Roads, Road transport 
Bridge (from Tags)
Road Over River 
Period (from Tags)
Early 19th Century 
Date (from Tags)
1832 
Building Material (from Tags)
Cast-Iron 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 0922 1674 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:44.8922N 1:51.8910W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 0921 1673
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Cast Iron Bridge  Coalbrookdale Company  Grade II(star) Listed  Architectural Detail 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 3 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark