SK4833 : The Erewash Canal at Long Eaton

taken 5 months ago, near to Long Eaton, Derbyshire, Great Britain

The Erewash Canal at Long Eaton
The Erewash Canal at Long Eaton
The Erewash Canal was opened in 1779 to provide an outlet for collieries on the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border. It descends 109 feet from its northern end at Langley Mill to the River Trent at Trent Lock, a distance of nearly 12 miles. Although initially highly profitable, competition from other canals and the railways began to eat into trade in the 19th century. In 1932 it passed to the Grand Union Canal Company and was nationalised in 1947. Narrowboat carrying ceased in 1963, but the waterway continued to be maintained to provide a water supply for industry in the lower Erewash valley. This meant that it was relatively easy to restore as a cruising waterway and since 1983 pleasure boaters have been able to use the entire length of the canal.

See other images of Erewash Canal
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Lally and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK4833, 1006 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 12 March, 2021   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 13 March, 2021
Geographical Context
City, Town centre  Canals 
Canal (from Tags)
Erewash 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4886 3395 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:54.0466N 1:16.5043W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 48870 33924
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 16 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark