SP2999 : Whittington Bridge north-west of Atherstone in Warwickshire

taken 12 years ago, near to Grendon, Warwickshire, Great Britain

Whittington Bridge north-west of Atherstone in Warwickshire
Whittington Bridge north-west of Atherstone in Warwickshire
Looking north-west towards Polesworth and Fazeley Junction.

Whittington Bridge is No 46. It carries a farm track which used to lead 500 metres north-west to Whitley Barn, which no longer exists. It is a Whitley Farm accommodation bridge with no public rights of way across it.

The flight of eleven Atherstone Locks on the Coventry Canal raises (or lowers) the water level by eighty feet (244 metres) over about two miles (three kilometres). Through the bridge is Lock No 9.
Accommodation Bridges

When the canals (or railways) were built in the 18th and 19th centuries, they were often routed in such a way that farmers and other landowners had their land bisected, so bridges had to be provided to allow access to fields on both sides of the canal. These bridges are frequently referred to as accommodation bridges, and however solid and well constructed, often don't lead anywhere except from one field to another.

Building the Coventry Canal 1768-1789

James Brindley was commissioned to build the canal and started work in December 1768. He insisted on such high standards of construction that the Coventry Canal Company ran out of money by the time the canal had reached Atherstone in 1769. Brindley was replaced by Thomas Yeoman.

Thomas Dadford advised the company in building the Tame Aqueduct in 1784, then in June 1785 Thomas Sheasby was contracted to connect the Coventry Canal to the Trent and Mersey Canal. The canal reached the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal at Fazeley, but the final Parliament-approved stretch to the Trent and Mersey at Fradley was not finished until 1789.

Meanwhile, the Trent and Mersey Company, and the Birmingham and Fazeley Company, anxious to link Birmingham with the Trent and Mersey, gained permission to complete and operate the approved (but as yet unbuilt) section from Fazeley to Fradley. The B and F worked north from Fazeley, and the T and M worked south from Fradley. The full length from Coventry to Fradley was opened in 1789.

The Coventry Canal Company later bought the northern section. The middle section remained with Birmingham and Fazeley Canal. Consequently, some maps show this middle section from Fazeley to Whittington Brook) as the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal (with un-numbered bridges), but others describe the complete route as the Coventry Canal.

Information taken from LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Roger Kidd and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP2999, 67 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 15 June, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 11 March, 2021
Geographical Context
Canals 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2952 9906 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:35.3128N 1:33.9422W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 2955 9903
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Lock  Flight of Locks  Canal Bridge 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 6 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark