SE3556 : Chapel of Our Lady of the Crag, Knaresborough

taken 9 years ago, near to Knaresborough, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

Chapel of Our Lady of the Crag, Knaresborough
Chapel of Our Lady of the Crag, Knaresborough
The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is an early 15th century chapel on Abbey Road Knaresborough. It is a Grade I listed building. It was built on the route to Knaresborough Abbey (now completely demolished), possibly by John the Mason in 1408 or 1409.
It was carved out of the sandstone cliff face with a carved altar, gargoyles and a vaulted ceiling. Outside a large carving of a medieval knight stands guard. The knight is probably 18th century but may be contemporary with the chapel. The head of the knight was probably recarved in the 19th century.
It went out of use as a chapel following The Reformation but was rededicated as a Catholic chapel in 1916.

See other images of Chapel of Our Lady of the Crag
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright habiloid and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE3556, 348 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 31 March, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 28 December, 2020
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Chapel 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 3513 5644 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:0.1679N 1:27.9322W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 3513 5643
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 9 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark