TG1022 : Church Hill, Reepham

taken 12 months ago, near to Reepham, Norfolk, Great Britain

This is 1 of 6 images, with title Church Hill, Reepham in this square
Church Hill, Reepham
Church Hill, Reepham
At the junction with Ollands Road
Road No.C260
LinkExternal link
Reepham churches

Reepham once had three churches almost touching each other, and two still stand.
The main church is Saint Mary's, attached to this is St Michael's. The third church, All Saints' Hackford, was destroyed by fire in 1543 and the remnants mostly demolished in 1796. There is a small portion of the porch still extant opposite St Michael's tower.

St Michael's church was the parish church of Whitwell until 1935 when the three parishes were amalgamated. It is now mainly used as a church hall. It has a tall west tower, nave, south porch and chancel which is linked to St Mary's church via a passageway.
The tower is of two stages with battlements and pinnacles. Most of the church dates from the 14th and 15th century and has been recently converted into a church hall.
At the east end there is a stained-glass window by Reginald Frampton.

Saint Mary's church is a Grade I listed church dating from the 14th century, with a major restoration done in 1885. It is built of flint with a black pantile roof.
There is a nave, north aisle, south porch, south tower (offset from the nave), south aisle and chancel. The clerestory was removed and the nave roof rebuilt circa 1790.
The north arcade dates from the 14th century and has four bays with octagonal piers. The south arcade dates from the 13th century and also has four bays.
The chancel was rebuilt during the Victorian restoration. On the north wall there is a monument probably to Roger de Kerdiston, died 1337. He lies on a bed of pebbles and there are eight weepers below. There is also a brass to Sir William de Kurdiston (d. 1391) and his wife Cecily.

There is a Norman font of Purbeck marble from around 1200 at the west end of the church. Some of the bench ends have poppy heads with mediaeval animal carvings.

There is a small organ and some stained glass windows.

At the west end there is a linking passage to St Michaelís church.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Geographer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG1022, 165 images   (more nearby search)
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 5 August, 2020   (more nearby)
Saturday, 22 August, 2020
Geographical Context
Roads, Road transport  City, Town centre 
At (from Tags)
Primary Subject of Photo
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 10100 22860 [1m precision]
WGS84: 52:45.7477N 1:6.7488E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 10037 22876
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
St Michaels Church  C Road (Classified C)  Church Hill  Ollands Road  Road Junction 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 20 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
thumbs up icon