TL4458 : The former Pem Café

taken 1 year ago, near to Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, Great Britain

The former Pem Café
The former Pem Café
Between the windows of the first and second storeys above street level at 75 Trumpington Street it is still possible to make out, despite half-hearted attempts at whitewashing, the lettering advertising THE PEM CAFE.

Between the World Wars this establishment, opposite the main entrance to Pembroke College whose name it cheekily abbreviated, was apparently the place for undergraduates and other young people to meet. Earlier, in 1913, the premises were occupied by James Ansell & Co., a firm of wood carvers.

Curiously, in the 1907 novel "The longest journey" by E.M. Forster, a character (Mr Pembroke) refers to one of the open runnels which flow along both sides of the street (part of the Hobson's Conduit system) as "The Pem", and another character has the name Ansell. Forster himself was an undergraduate at King's College from 1897-1901 and later became a Fellow of that college, living there until his death in 1970.

Pembroke College owns this block of buildings and there are plans for its redevelopment.
Pembroke College

Pembroke College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge.
The college is the third oldest college of the university (founded 1347) and has over seven hundred students and fellows. Physically, it is one of the university's larger colleges, with buildings from almost every century since its founding, as well as extensive gardens.
Grade I listed. LinkExternal link
Wikipedia: LinkExternal link

Trumpington Street

Trumpington Street is a major historic street in Cambridge. At the north end it continues as King's Parade. To the south it continues as Trumpington Road (the A1134), an arterial route out of Cambridge, at the junction with Lensfield Road.
The colleges St Catharine's College, Corpus Christi College, Pembroke College and Peterhouse are all on Trumpington Street. At the southern end is the main site of the Cambridge University Engineering Department.
The Church of St Mary the Less, Cambridge is next to Peterhouse. The Emmanuel United Reformed Church, built to a design of James Cubitt in 1875, is also located on Trumpington Street.
At the northern end on the corner of Corpus Christi College facing King's Parade is the Corpus Clock, a new tourist attraction installed in 2008.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Tiger and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL4458, 5574 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 29 June, 2020   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 29 June, 2020
Geographical Context
Business, Retail, Services  City, Town centre  Derelict, Disused 
Primary Subject of Photo
Cafe 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 4484 5804 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:12.0939N 0:7.0792E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 4486 5805
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Cafe (Closed) 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 329 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark