SD3128 : Looking back from the pier

taken 2 years ago, near to St Annes, Lancashire, Great Britain

Looking back from the pier
Looking back from the pier

From the end of the pier looking back to the south side of St Annes.
St Annes Pier

A conventional promenade pier constructed of iron columns with lattice girder work, St Anne's Pier was a relatively modest affair built to a length of 914ft (277m) at a cost of 18,000. Designed by A Mawson and commissioned by the Land and Building Company Ltd, St Anne's Pier was opened by Frederick Stanley (16th Lord Derby) on June 15th 1885. In 1904 further, much more ornate, work was carried out with the construction of a fabulous 1000 seat 'Moorish' pavilion as well as various kiosks along the pier neck. This was complimented by a red brick mock-Tudor entrance building, complete with imitation wooden beams and gables, at the shoreward end. The whole complex was finally completed in 1910 with the construction at the pier-head of the 'Floral Hall', which provided facilities for concerts, opera's and vaudeville acts.

An amusement arcade was added to the entrance buildings in 1954 and in 1960 a restaurant was added along with the re-planking of the main deck. 1962 saw St Anne's Pier purchased by the Amalgamated Investment & Property Company for the sum of 240,000 and renovation of large areas of the pier commenced. The work included the entrance buildings, the Floral Hall, a landing Jetty and a children's area that had been damaged by fire in 1959.

In 1974 a serious fire completely destroyed the recently refurbished 'Moorish' Pavilion and a building of considerable architectural merit was sadly lost. The fire also damaged the Floral Hall, jetty and pier substructure but an application to demolish the damaged seaward section was refused by Flyde District Council in 1975. The pier owners subsequently went into liquidation.

Successive owners carried out further restoration works but the bulk of the seaward end structure was finally destroyed in another blaze in July 1982. The Floral Hall was burnt down and St Anne's Pier seaward end was so badly damaged that this time it had to be demolished, reducing the pier's length to a mere 600ft (182m). Further refurbishment was carried out on the shoreward end buildings during the 1990s

LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD3128, 342 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 31 July, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 6 November, 2019
Geographical Context
Coastal 
Place (from Tags)
St Annes-on-the-Sea 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3173 2851 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:44.9082N 3:2.2042W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3169 2849
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Pier  Beach 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 21 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark