SJ7038 : The Church of St Chad - Churchyard

taken 2 years ago, near to Norton in Hales, Shropshire, Great Britain

The Church of St Chad - Churchyard
The Church of St Chad - Churchyard
The churchyard was "levelled" (the stones laid flat) in 1864, when the Ref. Silver created another outside the village, on the road to Knighton. The grass has almost entirely engulfed the stones now.
The Church of St Chad, Norton in Hales

The church dates from the 13th and 14th centuries and despite the large number of external doors and doorways is entered through the tower, where the resultant lobby is hung with many monuments, including a huge marble memorial to Francis Cotton, who died in childbirth along with the child. They are portrayed in effigy, along with her husband Rowland (who survived the fateful day).

There are two fonts, one rather eroded and weather-beaten and currently in the churchyard, and one inside very close to the pulpit. In fact the whole interior has a cramped feel, not helped by the heavy late Victorian pews and choir stalls Every window is coloured, which makes it dark as well.

The church is a grade II* listed building. The listing includes the external archway on the North side, which once linked the church and the (now demolished) Rectory. See LinkExternal link

The church has a ring of eight bells, described by the church guide as:
1: 16 1/2 inches, cast by John Warner & Sons, London, 1867
2: 17 1/2 inches, cast by John Warner & Sons, London, 1864
3: 28 1/2 inches, cast by John Warner & Sons, London, 1864
4: 30 inches, cast by John Warner & Sons, London, 1864
5: 31 1/2 inches, cast by John Warner & Sons, London, 1867
6: 33 1/2 inches, cast by Hugh Watts of Leicester, c. 1610
7: 36 inches, cast by John Warner & Sons, London, 1864
8: 41 inches, cast by John Warner & Sons, London, 1867

Bell 7 is inscribed "GOD SAVE THE CHORVRCHE OVR KYNGE OF ENGLAND", according a Mr R.E.Davies, as reported by the church guide.
The bells can be rung by a Carillon, that plays different tunes on different days, at 3 hourly intervals. The Carillon was made by Thwaites and Reeds of London.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bob Harvey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ7038, 77 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 8 October, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 26 October, 2019
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Village, Rural settlement  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Former (from Tags)
Graveyard 
Primary Subject of Photo
Churchyard 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 7036 3866 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:56.6701N 2:26.5518W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 7037 3867
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 11 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark