TG2208 : East window detail, St Peter Mancroft church, Norwich

taken 2 years ago, near to Norwich, Norfolk, Great Britain

East window detail, St Peter Mancroft church, Norwich
East window detail, St Peter Mancroft church, Norwich
The left hand panel shows The Crucifixion by Clayton & Bell, 1881, and the right panel depicts The Entombment - Christ's body is lowered into the coffin The Virgin clasps his dead hand to her chest. This once also showed The Crucifixion, and remnants of that scene are still present (man with spear and tiny nailed feet). The cross has been replaced by a crowned God the father.
East window, St Peter Mancroft, Norwich

The window dates from the fourteenth century, circa 1440-1480, although seven central panels were added in 1881 by Clayton and Bell. All the old glass was made in Norwich workshops.
The majority of the glass has been salvaged from other windows.
In 1648 the windows of the church were blown in by a gunpowder explosion nearby, the east window was re-glazed in 1652. Earlier, in 1643 panels showing the crucifixion were destroyed by puritans, only one survived.

The window was repaired in 1741, "improved" by John Dixon in the mid nineteenth century, and in 1881 the central panels were replaced by Clayton and Bell with a series depicting the last days of Christ.
Before 1908 the old panels were in no order and many were thought to contain nothing but fragments. The window was re-leaded and cleaned and the panels were restored into some kind of order.
The window was removed over the war years and re-leaded by King and Son in 1947.
Some original panels from this window were removed and are in Febrigg Hall, Norfolk.

The window consists of seven lights six rows with tracery above.
The first row contains four panels of donors, the three central panels being those from 1881.
The second row depicts the infancy of Christ, with the circumcision going into the first panel of the third row.
The third row depicts the passion of Christ, and is the burial of the Virgin, and dates from c.1480.
The fourth row depicts the life of Saint Peter.
The fifth and sixth rows contain Saints and symbols.
The canopy tops contain small depictions of the Coronation of the Virgin and musical Angels.

In the tracery, which dates from 1470 to 1480, there are saints, Bishops, and Kings.

Church of St Peter Mancroft

St Peter Mancroft is a parish church in the centre of Norwich. After the two cathedrals, it is the largest church in Norwich and was built between 1430 and 1455. It stands on a slightly elevated position, next to the market place.
The dedication of the church is to St. Peter and St. Paul but it is known locally as St. Peter Mancroft.
Grade I listed. LinkExternal link
Wikipedia: LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2208, 3955 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 22 May, 2019   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 10 June, 2019
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Norwich 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Church (from Tags)
St Peter Mancroft 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 2294 0842 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:37.6636N 1:17.5605E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Medieval Stained Glass Detail  East Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 23 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark