SE9276 : Interior, St Andrew's church, East Heslerton

taken 3 years ago, near to East Heslerton, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

Interior, St Andrew's church, East Heslerton
Interior, St Andrew's church, East Heslerton

Grade I listed

The church was built in 1877 by G. E. Street for Sir Tatton Sykes. It was the third church to be built on the site, the earliest probably dates from Norman times. Sir Tatton Sykes of Sledmere house also renovated another 13 churches in the area.
It is built in the Gothick transitional style.
The church has a western porch, five bay nave, chancel, vestry, south baptistery and a north tower and spire.

The western porch, in the form of a narthex, has polished granite columns with foliate capitals, a lean to roof, above which is a west window of stepped lancets from the nave.

The interior is the original Victorian design with original fittings. There are wrought iron baptistery and rood screens, and the font of Caen stone with carved sides on clustered columns. The pulpit is of polished grey stone.

The chancel is in the form of an apse with rib vaulting to the ceiling. The altar is backed by a polyptych with painted panels representing the "Te Deum". There is a double sedilia with granite shafts, a piscina and encaustic tiles.

The large north tower and octagonal spire is 32 m high and has statues of the Latin Fathers by Redfern, originally intended for Bristol Cathedral. There are three bells.
The area under the tower now houses the organ which was installed in 1937. Originally this was an empty area, and the organ now obscures two fine stained-glass windows.

All the stained-glass windows are by Clayton and Bell.

The church is surrounded by a stone wall and there is a stone Lych gate designed by Street.

The church is now in the care of the churches conservation trust.

See other images of St Andrew's church, East Heslerton
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE9276, 40 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 22 May, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 30 May, 2018
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
East Heslerton 
Church (from Tags)
St Andrews 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Interior 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 9261 7665 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:10.6372N 0:34.9580W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 43 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark