SK8816 : Interior, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton

taken 3 years ago, near to Market Overton, Rutland, Great Britain

Interior, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton
Interior, Ss Peter & Paul church, Market Overton
Looking east up the nave.
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Market Overton

The church consists of nave with aisles, west tower, chancel with attached vestry and organ loft, south aisle transept an south porch. The oldest remains reveal that a church has stood on the site since at least the beginning of the 11th century.

The oldest part of the church, remaining from this period is the fine arch between the tower and the nave; there was clearly a tower at this stage, which would probably have included the entrance to the church.

The church was largely rebuilt in the 13th century, with at least a south, and possibly also a north, aisle, and from this period the lower stages of the tower and the south aisle and porch survive, in early Decorated style.

The church was further improved in the 14th century, in full Decorated style, when the current north aisle was built, together with the large south Aisle transept and the clerestory. The south aisle arcade was rebuilt at this stage so that the nave interior has a unified appearance. The south side clerestory windows show a variety of tracery in curvilinear style of the period. All the aisle windows are of this period. An external feature of this period is the small bellcote on the gable at the east end of the nave which would have held a Sanctus bell. The upper stage of the tower also dates from this period.

The chancel with its extensions on the north side was completely rebuilt in 1861, at which time the south transept was restored.

Most of the internal fittings are 19th century or later but there are a few older items of interest. The font is an interesting accretion, consisting of a bowl formed from a capital of Norman date joined via a 'modern' section to an inverted capital in Early English style. There is also a good selection of wall monuments, some quite ornate, in both chancel and aisles, dating from between 1700 and c.1920. There is also the clock mechanism constructed by Smiths of Derby in 1912. This was replaced as early as the 1930s, but this was damaged later and a modern mechanism installed in the 1980s. The south door dates from 1756 as shown on the small attached plaque.

Also keeping time, as the sun allows, is a sundial on the south face of the tower, reputed to have been the gift of Sir Isaac Newton. The base of the tower incorporates some decorated Saxon stonework from a cross.

The churchyard wall, of 19th century origin, incorporates a memorial lych gate of 1922 and a stile on the northern side which incorporates two Saxon balusters.

The church is Listed Grade I, and is well described in the Victoria County History for the county LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK8816, 164 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 26 April, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 27 April, 2018
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Market Overton 
Church (from Tags)
Ss Peter & Paul 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Interior 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8858 1645 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:44.3061N 0:41.3668W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 22 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark