NS7993 : Statue of Ebenezer Erskine

taken 4 years ago, near to Stirling, Great Britain

Statue of Ebenezer Erskine
Statue of Ebenezer Erskine
See another contributor's earlier picture for more on the sculptor's subject: NS7993 : Ebenezer Erskine statue, Old Town Cemetery. The statue itself is, like others in the cemetery, by Alexander Handyside Ritchie, and it was intended to form part of a symbolic, didactic, religious landscape.

This area is Mar's Wark Cemetery, a part of what is often collectively called the Old Town Cemetery. See also NS7993 : First World War Memorial.

The statue of Ebenezer Erskine is one of three outlying statues in the Old Town Cemetery, the other two being the NS7993 : Statue of James Guthrie and the NS7993 : Statue of James Renwick. The other statues are more centrally placed: NS7993 : Statues of three preachers / NS7993 : Monument to Margaret Wilson (a Wigtown Martyr).

The building in the background is NS7993 : The Portcullis Hotel, Stirling (NS7993 : The Portcullis, Castle Wynd, Stirling); for its earlier use, see, again, the link given in the first paragraph.
Old Town Cemetery, Stirling

This shared description applies to the Valley Cemetery, Mar's Wark Cemetery, the Kirkyard, Ladies' Rock (a viewpoint), and the Drummond Pleasure Ground (the area around the Star Pyramid). It does not include the more recent (1924) Snowdon Cemetery, which is just to the west, nor Ballengeich Cemetery (1888), which is not contiguous with those other grounds. See LinkExternal link (at the Old Town Cemetery website) for a map.

(See LinkExternal link for the Snowdon Cemetery and LinkExternal link for Ballengeich Cemetery.)

The Valley Cemetery was laid out in 185758. The site had previously been called the Valley: it is labelled as such on John Wood's 1820 town plan of Stirling. A 1725 "Plan of the Town and Castle of Sterling" shows a "Horse Market" in the same area (specifically, centred on the location of the later Valley Rock Fountain). See the paper "The Kirkyard and Cemeteries beside Stirling Castle", cited at the end of this description, for other early uses of that ground.

Mar's Wark Cemetery is the eastern part, nearest the ruin that is called Mar's Wark (see Link for the ruin itself).

Just north of the Valley Cemetery is the Drummond Pleasure Ground, named after William Drummond: it was at his instigation that the Star Pyramid was built there; the Pleasure Ground (which, for some obscure reason, is now usually referred to as Pithy Mary) contains just one burial: his own, marked by a sarcophagus-styled memorial. Drummond was also responsible for certain aspects of the layout of the Valley Cemetery itself, such as its statues, and the Valley Rock Fountain; it was intended to be read as a symbolic religious landscape. The statues of religious reformers and of the Wigtown Martyrs were sculpted by Alexander Handyside Ritchie.

The Kirkyard is a much older burial ground beside the Church of the Holy Rude. At present, it is not separated from the Valley Cemetery by a wall or any other barrier, but the old boundary between them corresponds to the modern path that runs between Ladies' Rock (a rocky knoll with a direction finder on top) and the northern transept of the Church of the Holy Rude. The Kirkyard is to the south of that path, and the Valley Cemetery is to the north.

A useful source of information on all of these burial grounds (and the Drummond Pleasure Ground) is John G. Harrison's paper "The Kirkyard and Cemeteries beside Stirling Castle", which appears on pages 4959 of Volume 33 (2010) of the journal "The Forth Naturalist and Historian"; the writer of the present shared description is indebted to the author of that article. At the time of writing (early 2018), back issues of that journal can be found online: LinkExternal link (at FNH). For the particularly old gravestones to be found in the Kirkyard, another paper by John G. Harrison is valuable: "Some Early Gravestones in Holy Rude Kirkyard, Stirling", on pages 7996 of Volume 13 (1990) of the same journal.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS7993, 781 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 24 February, 2018   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 15 March, 2018
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Sculptor (from Tags)
A H Ritchie 
Primary Subject of Photo
Statue 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 7916 9381 [10m precision]
WGS84: 56:7.3011N 3:56.7191W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 7916 9381
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 52 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark