TF0043 : East window, St Mary's church, Wilsford

taken 5 years ago, near to Wilsford, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

East window, St Mary's church, Wilsford
East window, St Mary's church, Wilsford
A war memorial window depicting St. Raphael, St. Martin, St. George and St. Michael, and small subjects below of the Nativity, Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension. The inscription reads:
"To the Glory of God, this window was dedicated by relatives, friends and parishioners in Grateful Memory of W.Q. Ash W. Bailey F. Bristow G.W. Bush. S. Clay J.H. Cooper A. Cragg T. Cullen S. Davey J.H. Dennis S. Dodd W. Gostick W.A. Hunter H. Jackson D. Newton J. Newton. A. Parker E. Porter J. Smith W. Smith E. Tewson T.H. Turner all of this Parish, who fell in the Great War, 1914 - 1918"
The Window was unveiled by Brigadier-General R.L. Adlercron, C.M.G., D.S.O. in 1920.
St Mary's church, Wilsford


Grade I listed

Parts of the church date back to Saxon times, and all subsequent mediaeval periods are represented. A church is mentioned at Wilsford in the Domesday Book, and it is thought to have been held in high status in the pre-conquest era.
The church was restored in 1860 by Kirk and Parry.

There is a west tower with spire, clerestoried nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and chancel.
The tower dates from the 15th century and has an embattled parapet with gargoyles. The spire has two tiers of lucarnes. There are three bells, originally there were four.

The nave has a 15th century embattled clerestory, the north arcade is of two bays from the late 12th century with round arches. The south aisle is 15th century with pointed arches, the most western one being larger.
The north aisle has a large number of mediaeval carved pew ends. There are also some in the south aisle, at the east end of which is the Lady Chapel.
The font is hexagonal, decorated with flowers and from the 15th century. At the rear of the nave are several lead panels taken from the roofs when they were repaired, which have the names of churchwardens and are dated in the mid 18th century.

The chancel arch dates from the 1860 restoration, possibly reusing earlier work. The chancel is recorded as being rebuilt by Roger Warde who died in 1477. The east window is from the Decorated period with stained glass from 1920, inserted as a war Memorial. The chancel also has mediaeval carved pew ends, and a piscina and aumbries. The hammerbeam roof was part of the Victorian restoration

The Porch dates from the 15th century and has stone ledges on both sides. There is an empty niche above the south door which possibly once held a statue of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus.

There is a small organ by Bevington on the north side of the chancel.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0043, 43 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 9 October, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 11 October, 2016
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Wilsford 
Church (from Tags)
St Marys 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0066 4301 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:58.5000N 0:30.1436W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window  East Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 32 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark