NG0483 : St Clement's Church, Rodel

taken 6 years ago, near to Rodel/Roghadal, Na h-Eileanan an Iar, Great Britain

St Clement's Church, Rodel
St Clement's Church, Rodel
Looking south across the church, with Alasdair MacLeod's tomb in the main aisle on the left.
Týr Chliamainn, Roghadal / St Clement's, Rodel

This little cruciform church dedicated to St Clement dates originally from the early C16th but has had two major restorations in 1787 and 1873 - the second at the behest of Catherine Herbert, Countess of Dunmore as a plaque on the church attests. With a further restoration in 1913 carried out by W. T. Oldrieve, who stripped off the harling.
It has also had numerous other repairs after fires, lightning strikes and similar calamities!
It is now in the care of Historic Scotland, so hopefully its future is assured. Inside is a little treasure trove of interest and it is very much worth a visit if you are visiting Lewis with Harris.
The Gaelic name (Týr Chliamainn) means "Clement's Tower"
The most remarkable survivor in this church is the tomb of Alisdair MacLeod see LinkExternal link
See also the Canmore website's informative site record here LinkExternal link

Tuama Alasdair MhicLeoid / Alasdair MacLeod's Tomb

Alasdair "Crotach" Macleod was the 8th chief of the Clan MacLeod. References on the web state that he was born in 1450, but as he died in 1547 this would mean he attained the remarkable age of 97. He became the Clan Chief in 1480 on the death of his father, William, at the Battle of Bloody Bay. Alasdair himself was no stranger to battle - his nickname "Crotach" translates at "humpbacked" - a disfigurement resulting from a serious battle wound. His misshapen body however is not faithfully reproduced in the recumbent effigy of his tomb.
The carvings:
The carvings on his tomb represent many of the things that were important to him in life; he was a religious man, so iconography such as angels and the crucifixion figure, but also scenes of hunting and of his knightly and warrior life, such as depictions of a "birlinn" or galley, essential to anyone attempting to control such a diffuse island demesne.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright M J Richardson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NG0483, 174 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 31 May, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 16 September, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  Islands 
Place (from Tags)
Isle of Harris  Rodel/Roghadal 
People (from Tags)
Alisdair MacLeod 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NG 0476 8317 [10m precision]
WGS84: 57:44.4482N 6:57.7940W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NG 0476 8318
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Historic Scotland  Na H-Eileanan an Iar/Outer Hebrides  St Clements Church 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 36 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark