SE8904 : East window, Holy Trinity church, Messingham

taken 6 years ago, near to Messingham, North Lincolnshire, Great Britain

East window, Holy Trinity church, Messingham
East window, Holy Trinity church, Messingham
The east window is composed of fragments of stained glass from various places, given to Rev. H. V. Bayley. Places include Kettlethorpe church and Scotton. The glass would surely have been lost without his intervention, as parishioners just wanted a new window! Several people were employed for six weeks in resetting the pieces. Some pieces were extremely dirty , and few people thought them worth anything.

The bottom left depicts the shield of Sir Richard Neville and dates from the late 13th century. Also at the bottom of the window is St John the Evangelist holding an Eagle, with a praying figure and possibly the figure of Christ with an open book, and fragments of black letter inscriptions from the mid-14th century. There is also a praying figure, head of Christ and other 15th century glass.
Above this, in panel 3a, is Doubting Thomas and Christ, and musicians in turrets, dating from the mid-14th century.
At the top on the left is the shield of Robert Neville, again from the late 13th century.
In the middle light at the bottom there is a censing Angel from the late 13th century with some 14th century fragments. Panel 2b, above this, depicts Christ enthroned, with a white cross on a blue background from around 1300. This glass is probably from Snarford. There are fragments of later glass.
Above, is located the virgin and child with Shields of Robert Neville. There is a scroll with parts of the "Ave Maria" above. This glass is taken from nearby Scotton, where the Neville family were Lord of the Manor for more than two centuries.

At the bottom right is an unidentified shield, above which there is a hart's head, a passion shield, and a 15th century white horse.
Above this, in panel 3c, is located a depiction of the Harrowing of Hell, with Adam and Eve emerging from the mouth of hell depicted by the gaping jaws of a monster, mid-14th century. This is believed to have come from Kettlethorpe.
Above is a another shield of Robert Neville, and further early 14th century fragments.
At the top of the window there are two figures; on the left there is a youth, and right, a bearded man holding a staff. In the background there are black letter inscriptions which are mostly indecipherable. These figures are probably taken from Kettlethorpe when the church was rebuilt and the old glass discarded.

Other glass in the window was taken from Malvern Priory, Scampton and Manchester.
Holy Trinity church, Messingham

Grade II*listed

The church dates from the 13th century onwards and consists of a western tower, which was rebuilt in 1784 after its original spire fell down, nave with aisles and clerestory, chancel and north Chapel, south porch, and vestry.

The tower is of three stages and has coped battlements and crocketted finials.
The nave has four bays, and the clerestory has two light windows which are only external on the north side. The south aisle roof has been raised, and is therefore the windows are now internal. There is also a three light window at the apex of the nave east wall above the level of the chancel arch.
The north arcade is early English, the south arcade later 13th century.

The majority of the church was rebuilt in 1818-1821, with restorations in 1890, and the vestry added in 1894.

There is a good amount of mediaeval stained glass, most of which has been obtained from elsewhere. The east window is wholly constructed from a mixture of these reset pieces. There is also a north western window, and several window traceries containing old glass. These were obtained by Henry Vincent Bayley, who became Archdeacon of Stow in 1827 and was Sub Dean at Lincoln Cathedral. There are also 19th-century windows by Burlison and Grylls.

The current organ dates from 1976, and was taken from a redundant Methodist Chapel in South Yorkshire.

The church has just received a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund to carry out extensive repairs to the roof and resolve other dampness-related problems.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE8904, 71 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 27 February, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 29 February, 2016
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
Holy Trinity 
Place (from Tags)
Messingham 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 8903 0480 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:31.9393N 0:39.4965W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
East Window  Medieval Stained Glass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 63 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark