TM4765 : Eastbridge chapel from the west

taken 6 years ago, near to Eastbridge, Suffolk, Great Britain

Eastbridge chapel from the west
Eastbridge chapel from the west
This medieval chapel is all that remains of a Premonstratensian foundation set up in 1182 by Ranulf de Glanville, Chief Justiciar to Henry II. The swampy site proved prone to flooding and in the second half of the fourteenth century the canons relocated inland to Leiston (see TM4464 : Leiston Abbey ruins), dismantling the abbey church and taking most of the materials with them. This chapel remained, functioning among other things as a sea-mark. In the Second World War it was used as camouflage for an Army pill-box, which can be seen set within the walls at the far end: one of the many defensive structures to be set up along Britain's vulnerable east coast.
Eastbridge Chapel and Leiston Abbey - Suffolk :: TM4464

Leiston Abbey is a well preserved site in north Suffolk. The site is used partly as a music school but the abbey is free to look around. It is under the care of English Heritage.

The first chapel was established in marshy ground 3 miles from here at Minsmere TM4765 : Eastbridge Chapel. The idea being that the religious site was far away from anywhere. It was founded by Sir Ranulf de Granville in 1182, the rich land owner was Lord Chief of Justice to King Henry II.
After nearly 200 years the site was abandoned, much of the stone was taken to Leiston. All that remains today is a small stone building on the hill, it conseals a WWII pillbox. Access is due to be provided in 2011 after recent stabilisation works.
Leiston was established in 1363 (or 1365 as some say) with a large church and adjoining cloisters. The abbey did well until Henry VIII abolished it in 1537 later passing onto Charles Brandon, 3rd Duke of Suffolk and brother-in-law to Henry VIII. The Abbey became a farm, the farmhouse being built into the ruins. Later, a Georgian front was added to the house, which was extended in the 1920s.

In 1928 the Abbey ruins and farm was bought by Ellen Wrightson for use as a religious retreat. When she died in 1946, she bequeathed the house, ruins, land and buildings to the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. It was purchased in 1977 by the Pro Corda Trust.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Christopher Hilton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM4765, 41 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 11 August, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 8 November, 2015
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Lakes, Wetland, Bog  Flat landscapes 
Ruin (from Tags)
Chapel  Monastic 
Primary Subject of Photo
Chapel 
Former (from Tags)
Chapel  Monastic Building 
Period (from Tags)
Second World War 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 4731 6597 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:14.1795N 1:37.2375E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 4728 6597
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Chapel  Monastic Ruins  Monastic Site  Monastic Building  World War II Relic  World War II  World War 2 Relic  World War II Fortifications  World War 2  World War Two Relic  World War Two  World War Two Pill Box  Second World War  Second World War Pillbox  Pill Box  Pillbox  Ww2 Pillbox 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 41 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark