SE6051 : Lady Chapel window, All Saints' church, North Street, York

taken 7 years ago, near to York, Great Britain

Lady Chapel window, All Saints' church, North Street, York
Lady Chapel window, All Saints' church, North Street, York
The glass dates from circa 1330 and was once located behind the High Altar of the chancel.Some modern pieces replace broken or lost glass.
Subjects include The Annunciation, The Nativity, Adoration of the Magi, Crucifixion, Resurrection and Coronation of Our Lady.
Most of the tracery glass is more modern.
All Saints' North St, York

Grade I listed

The church site dates from the 11th century and is there is a reference to the church in 1089. At that time the building was a simple rectangular structure.
At the end of the 12th century an aisle was added incorporating fragments of Roman columns found on the site. The chancel was reconstructed in the 13th century with an internal arcade and a second aisle was added to the nave. The nave is of seven bays and continuous with the chancel.

The tower and spire were erected in the late 14th century when the arcades were reconstructed. It is possible that the old church was demolished leaving only the easternmost bays.
Construction of the tower and 120 foot spire was underway in 1394 and the rest of the building was complete by about 1410 when work began on glazing the north and south walls. However, money was limited in the 15th century and the church was only finished in the 1470s.

There was originally an Anchorage attached to the church, and in the 1420s a visionary named Emma Raughton received visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. She received visions seven times in 1421, they informed her of the impending death of Henry V and Coronation of Henry VI as King of France. She was visited by Richard Beauchamp, who served as protector of the young king. This Anchorage was reconstructed in 1910.

The chancel ceiling was erected in the 15th century, the hammer beams of the ceiling are in the form of Angels who hold a variety of objects. There is a Misericord with the coat of arms of the incumbent John Gilyot, (1467 - 1472), who was responsible for the Angel carvings.

The church was restored in 1866 when the south aisle was rebuilt and porch and vestry added.

The church is famous for its mediaeval stained glass, and has a large and varied display. The earliest glass is from the first half of the 14th century and the majority is from the 15th century. The early glass is confined to the east windows, each window has a central crucifix which was intended to function as the cross for the altar below. Nine windows containing glass from the second period of glazing commencing around 1410 when the Pricke of Conscience window was installed, and continuing throughout the early part of the 15th century. All the mediaeval glass has been restored at some point, Wailes of Newcastle undertook work in 1844 and further restoration was done in the 1860s and 1960s.

After the Reformation much of the church was filled with box pews, and a large double-decker pulpit was installed. There are also commandment boards installed.

The church has several monuments and brasses, and there are several mediaeval grave slabs incorporated into the church floor including a slab to Thomas Collyngwyke.

Chancel screens and the rood were fitted in 1906.
In 1958 a statue of the Madonna and Child was installed to the south of the screen, sculpted by Dick Reid.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE6051, 2788 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 7 February, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 13 February, 2015
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
York 
Church (from Tags)
All Saints 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 6005 5176 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:57.5071N 1:5.1788W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Medieval Stained Glass Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 38 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark