TQ4744 : Brass to William Todde, d. 1585

taken 7 years ago, near to Hever, Kent, Great Britain

Brass to William Todde, d. 1585
Brass to William Todde, d. 1585
"Late scholemaster to Charles Waldegrave esquire who deceased the 11th day of March An Dom 1585, in whose perpetual memorye this monument was erected by his loving friend William Napper"
St Peter's church, Hever


Grade I listed

Parts of the church date from the late 13th century when the north aisle and part of the nave were built. There was an earlier Norman church before that.
The manorial lands of that region were owned by William de Hevre in the year 1200. The Bullen family took over the manors of Hever in 1462.
The main parts of the church were built in the middle of the 14th century, and the north Bullen Chapel was added in about 1465 by Sir Geoffrey Bullen of Hever Castle.

The church consists of a tower with large shingled spire, nave with north aisle, chancel with north Chapel (Bullen Chapel) and a south porch from 1894, the south door is a 14th century plank door.
The tower dates from the 14th century with 15th century windows and topped by a tall shingled spire.
The north aisle is from the 13th century, and there is a three Bay arcade to the nave of c.1350. The chancel is contemporary with the nave, with two bay arcades to the Bullen Chapel c.1450. This contains the tomb of Sir Thomas Bullen died 1538, father of Anne Bullen (or Boleyn), wife of Henry VIII. On top of the tomb is a very fine monumental brass showing Sir Thomas in full robes. The chest tomb is in poor condition. There is also a Memorial to an infant son of St Thomas, Henry. The Chapel also incorporates a fireplace.
The chancel has a large memorial brass to Margaret Cheyne died 1419. There is also a fine brass to William Todde died 1585.
The church contains some interesting stained glass, the oldest is probably a 16th century depiction of a dog in the tracery of the window in the south wall. There is also a window by John Hayward from 1986 in memory of Gavin Astor, second Baron Astor of Hever.
The font has a 14th century bowl set on the later base,
and the pulpit dates from 1621.
The organ is electronic.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ4744, 250 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 23 January, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 24 January, 2015
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Peters 
Place (from Tags)
Hever 
Primary Subject of Photo
Memorial 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 4765 4484 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:11.0236N 0:6.6721E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Brass  Monumental Brass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 68 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark