TQ5243 : Memorial Brass, St John's church, Penshurst

taken 7 years ago, near to Penshurst, Kent, Great Britain

Memorial Brass, St John's church, Penshurst
Memorial Brass, St John's church, Penshurst
Brass to Powle and Agnes Yden, with daughter Joan. He died in 1514.
St John the Baptist church, Penshurst

Grade I listed

The church consists of a western tower, nave with north and south arcade and clerestory, chancel and south Chapel.
The church is near to Penshurst Place, set back from the street.
Penshurst's first priest, Wilhelmus, was installed in 1170 by Thomas Becket.

The tower is of three stages dating from the 15th century, and has an embattled parapet with large octagonal corner turrets and spirelets, probably added in the 17th century.
The nave dates from the 15th century and there is a three bay north arcade from the 13th century, and a 14th century south arcade which runs into the south Chapel (Sidney Chapel), with a 13th C. arch from the south aisle into the Chapel.
The south aisle was rebuilt and widened in the 17th century, the south chapel was rebuilt in 1820 and has its own porch. The north aisle was rebuilt in 1864.
The church has no chancel arch but there is a 19th C. screen.
There is a very tall tower arch and nave roof from the 15th C, other roofs are 19th C.

The church was established by the early 12th century, and part of the nave maybe of that date. The north aisle was added circa 1200, and the south-east Chapel was originally late 13th century. The nave and chancel walls were raised with a clerestory in the 15th century, and the south aisle was widens and the south porch built in 1631. The Sidney Chapel was rebuilt in 1820 two designs by John Biagio Rebecca.
The church was heavily restored in 1864 by George Gilbert Scott who enlarged the north aisle and Chapel and replaced many of the roofs.

There are several monuments: Two 13th century coffin slabs in the tower, an effigy of a Knight, Sir Stephen de Penchester (d. 1299), several brasses and wall tablets.

There is a 15th century polygonal font, which has been garishly painted.

In the churchyard in front of the porch is a large stone table (dole table) which was used once a year to distribute money to the needy of the village.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ5243, 735 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 12 January, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 18 January, 2015
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St John the Baptist 
Place (from Tags)
Penshurst 
Primary Subject of Photo
Memorial 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 5273 4385 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:10.4099N 0:11.0046E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial Brass  Church Brass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 44 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark