R4560 : Bunratty Castle

taken 7 years ago, near to Bunratty, Bunratty East, Bunratty West and Hurlers Cross, Clare, Ireland

Bunratty Castle
Bunratty Castle
Built in around 1425 by the MacNamara family, this was the fourth castle on the site. In the early 18th century, after various owners over its history, it was purchased by the Studdert family, but in 1804 they built and moved into Bunratty House (see R4561 : Bunratty House). Over the course of the 19th century the castle fell into disrepair, culminating in the collapse of the roof. In 1956 it was purchased by the 7th Viscount Gort, who restored it with support from the Office of Public Works. In 1960 it was opened to the public and is now part of Bunratty Folk Park.

Included in the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage - see LinkExternal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ian Capper and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
R4560, 238 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 9 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 4 January, 2015
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Place (from Tags)
Bunratty  Bunratty Castle 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! R 451 608 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:41.7913N 8:48.7272W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! R 451 608
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
National Inventory of Architectural Heritage  NIAH 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 19 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark