SO7745 : Detail, Great East Window, Great Malvern Priory

taken 7 years ago, near to Great Malvern, Worcestershire, Great Britain

Detail, Great East Window, Great Malvern Priory
Detail, Great East Window, Great Malvern Priory
Six apostles in the East Window tracery, L to R: Thomas, James (the Great), Peter, John (head missing), Andrew, Phillip (head missing).
For full window, see SO7745 : The Great East Window, Great Malvern Priory.
Great East Window, Malvern Priory

The largest window in any English parish church, it dates from the early 15th century and was probably glazed by John Thornton of Coventry. He was also involved with York Minster from 1405, certainly the St William Window.SE6052 : St William window (n.VII) York Minster.

The window may have been given by Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, and his wife Isabella Despenser around 1430.

The tracery features the Annunciation along with the Apostles and other Saints, including St Wulstan, Bishop of Worcester. There are also symbols of the four Evangelists.

The main part of the window had 24 scenes depicting the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Jesus. Many are lost, damaged or fragmentary, for in the 18th C. ivy grew up and through the window. The damaged areas were replaced by glass from other windows of the church.

The lower part of the window features donors and benefactors, mostly from other windows. The Beaumont shield has been transferred to the north transept.

Great Malvern Priory

Grade I listed.
Great Malvern Priory was originally founded in 1085 by a monk from Worcester. The pillars and arches of the nave are Norman, some of the stones still bear the mason's marks.
The Priory was expanded and redesigned in the 15th century. It began about 1440 in the Perpendicular style. It was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester in 1460.
At the dissolution the people of Malvern raised the then vast sum of 20 and bought the Priory. Although it escaped damage in the Civil War, it was during the 18th century that the Priory suffered most, and was not until mid Victorian times that the major restoration works started.
The Priory was built to house 30 Benedictine monks, although there were never that many there. At the time of the black death the number was reduced to 10. The cloisters were on the south side of the Priory, but have long since disappeared. There was also once a south transept and Lady chapel which were both destroyed during the dissolution of the monasteries. The 13th century lady chapel was originally built over an existing crypt.
The Priory has two sets of misericords, the earlier group dates from the 14th century and depicts miscellaneous subjects. The second set depicts the labours of the months, and was carved in the 15th century. There is also a collection of mediaeval tiles dating from 1453. About 100 different designs survive.
The sanctuary contains an effigy of the 13th century knight and also an Elizabethan monument to John Knotsford and his wife. There are several stained-glass windows with mediaeval glass.
Charles Darwin's daughter is buried in the churchyard. She died aged 10 probably of tuberculosis.
There is a fine four manual organ by Nicholson.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO7745, 1365 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 29 July, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 11 October, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
Great Malvern Priory 
Place (from Tags)
Great Malvern 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 7761 4584 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:6.6257N 2:19.7013W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 7760 4584
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Medieval Stained Glass  Apostles 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 66 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark