SO7745 : West Window, Great Malvern Priory

taken 7 years ago, near to Great Malvern, Worcestershire, Great Britain

West Window, Great Malvern Priory
West Window, Great Malvern Priory
The original glass was given by Richard Duke of Gloucester and his wife Anne, before the middle of 1483. Originally the glass depicted the Day of Judgement in the upper half of the window. The lower lights were filled with female Saints.
Most of that glass has been lost, and had been replaced with glass from other medieval windows, mainly the north clerestory.
The window now features various Saints and Bishops.
Great Malvern Priory

Grade I listed.
Great Malvern Priory was originally founded in 1085 by a monk from Worcester. The pillars and arches of the nave are Norman, some of the stones still bear the mason's marks.
The Priory was expanded and redesigned in the 15th century. It began about 1440 in the Perpendicular style. It was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester in 1460.
At the dissolution the people of Malvern raised the then vast sum of 20 and bought the Priory. Although it escaped damage in the Civil War, it was during the 18th century that the Priory suffered most, and was not until mid Victorian times that the major restoration works started.
The Priory was built to house 30 Benedictine monks, although there were never that many there. At the time of the black death the number was reduced to 10. The cloisters were on the south side of the Priory, but have long since disappeared. There was also once a south transept and Lady chapel which were both destroyed during the dissolution of the monasteries. The 13th century lady chapel was originally built over an existing crypt.
The Priory has two sets of misericords, the earlier group dates from the 14th century and depicts miscellaneous subjects. The second set depicts the labours of the months, and was carved in the 15th century. There is also a collection of mediaeval tiles dating from 1453. About 100 different designs survive.
The sanctuary contains an effigy of the 13th century knight and also an Elizabethan monument to John Knotsford and his wife. There are several stained-glass windows with mediaeval glass.
Charles Darwin's daughter is buried in the churchyard. She died aged 10 probably of tuberculosis.
There is a fine four manual organ by Nicholson.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO7745, 1365 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 29 July, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 24 August, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
Great Malvern Priory 
Place (from Tags)
Great Malvern 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 7756 4584 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:6.6256N 2:19.7451W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 7758 4584
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Medieval Stained Glass Window  West Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 79 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark