ST5545 : Monument to Bishop John Still, Wells Cathedral

taken 7 years ago, near to Wells, Somerset, Great Britain

Monument to Bishop John Still, Wells Cathedral
Monument to Bishop John Still, Wells Cathedral
John Still (1543-1607) born and educated at Grantham, Lincs.
Bishop of Bath and Wells 1593-1608, he first married Anne Alabaster, and secondly Jane Horner.
The inscription states:
"Sacred to the memory of John Still Bishop of Bath and Wells, Doctor of Theology, keenest warrior for Christian Virtue famed not less in integrity of life than for True Doctrine who when he had long kept vigil with the Lord went to sleep in Christ on the 26th. day of February 1607 in the certain hope of rising again. He lived for 64 years, sat as Bishop for 16. Nathaniel Still first-born son mourning the best father thus placed it of piety".
Cathedral Church of St Andrew, Wells

Grade I listed

The city of Wells dates back to Roman times, and there was probably a Saxon church on the current site of which nothing now is visible.

The Cathedral was built in the late 12th and early 13th century, in the Gothic style.
It is famous for its west front with 293 mediaeval statues which were begun around 1220. Many of the lower statues were destroyed in the 17th century. There are Kings and Knights, Martyrs, Bishops and a frieze of resurrection figures. There are also 15th century Apostles and statues of the nine orders of Angels. The south west tower was built in the late 1380s, and has 10 bells, the heaviest ring in the world.
The nave was built between circa 1200 to 1230 with a central tower which was heightened in 1313 and a wooden spire added which was covered in lead. The increased weight caused subsidence of the tower with cracking and danger of collapse. In 1338 William Joy the Master Mason inserted the great scissor arches on three sides of the tower. These stabilised the structure, and the tower was saved.
There are two 15th century Chantry Chapels on either side of the nave.

The chapter house was completed in 1306. The main body is on the first floor level and a series of steps leading up to it were built in the late 13th century. The stained-glass in the lower parts of the windows was destroyed in the 17th century, but the upper traceries have original 14th century glass.

The east window in the Quire dates from 1340, this is a Jesse Tree window. The window is currently being restored (2014).
The Quire possesses a set of Misericords from circa 1335. There is also the 14th century "Cathedra" the bishops throne, from where the Cathedral derives its name.

The organ was built in 1857 and has a modern case. The current organ is a 4 manual model with 67 stops which was built by Harrison and Harrison in 1910. Previous organs have included builders such as Thomas Dallam and Renatus Harris, and latterly Henry Willis.

The font is located in the south transept and is from an earlier Saxon Church where the present cloisters are located. The cover is from the 17th century.

In the north transept there is a mediaeval clock dating from c1392, the original works have been loaned out to a museum, but the visible part of the clock is original, repainted in the 17th century and again in 1727. This is supposed to be the second oldest working clock after Salisbury Cathedral. Each quarter hour is struck by a figure, Jack Blandiver who kicks two bells with his heels. On the hour he strikes another Bell with a hammer. At the same time model Knights on the platform rotate round as if jousting. The clock does not have hands but concentric rings with a 24-hour clock face. The date of the lunar month is also shown along with the actual appearance of the moon.

The cloisters were completed in 1508. Above the east cloister is the Cathedral library said to be the longest mediaeval library building in England.

In 2008 a new shop and restaurant were built.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST5545, 888 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 31 July, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 15 August, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Wells Cathedral 
Primary Subject of Photo
Monument 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 5515 4590 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:12.6320N 2:38.6065W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 5513 4589
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial  Tomb  Monument 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 159 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark