TQ9741 : John Toke Brass, Great Chart church

taken 8 years ago, near to Great Chart, Kent, Great Britain

John Toke Brass, Great Chart church
John Toke Brass, Great Chart church
John Toke died in 1565, he married Cicely who was daughter of Sir Thomas Kemp, she died in 1559. They had 11 children, 7 sons are shown at the bottom of the stone but the daughters' brass is missing and only the matrix remains

He was son of the older John Toke who died in 1513, whose brass is also in the church.
St Mary's church, Great Chart

Grade I listed.

A church has stood on this site probably since the 12th century, although it is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The early church probably just consisted of the chancel and nave, possibly with the tower.

The church was rebuilt in the 14th century when the present layout was adopted. The chancel is longer than the nave. The 14th century church had a high pitched roof spanning both aisles, the outside walls were very low
in the mid-15th century a fire damaged the church and it was restored by the rector James Goldwell, who in 1472 became Bishop of Norwich. There is a window in the east end depicting him.
After the restoration the church was as it is now, the walls were raised to admit larger windows and the aisles were covered with flat leaded roofs. A Rood screen and loft were built, and the nave walls were raised to allow clerestory windows to be built.

The church consists of chancel, nave with north and south aisles, a west tower, porch and vestry. There is a north and a south Chapel.
The base of the tower dates from the 14th century, but the upper part is 15th century. Like the rest of the church, it is constructed of Kentish Ragstone, which was quarried locally.
The north Chapel contains an altar tomb to William and Avice Goldwell, and also brasses and memorials to the Toke family who owned the Godinton estate nearby.

The chancel, which is 14th century originally had 4 Bay arcades, but these were replaced in the 15th century by 3 unequal arches to accommodate the Rood screen. The east wall was rebuilt in 1866. There is a stone reredos from 1912.
The south Chapel, which contains the organ has 14th century windows with original 15th century glass.
The nave has 3 Bay arcades of octagonal piers with clerestory windows.
Although the vestry is mainly 19th century, the jambs of the door early Norman, circa 1080.
The south porch is 15th century, as is the font.

The church contains several brasses and memorial windows to the Toke family.

The roof was repaired in 2012.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ9741, 122 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 9 December, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 10 December, 2013
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Great Chart 
Church (from Tags)
St Marys 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 9796 4191 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:8.5333N 0:49.7164E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 9796 4191
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Brass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 98 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark