TQ9741 : Goldwell brasses, Great Chart church

taken 8 years ago, near to Great Chart, Kent, Great Britain

Goldwell brasses, Great Chart church
Goldwell brasses, Great Chart church
The Goldwells resided in the Manor of Goldwell, a mile west of the church, from the early 13th century. Sir John Goldwell was a commander in the reign of King John, until the estate was sold in the reign of King James I. Thomas Goldwell purchased Godinton in 1406 which passed at the end of the 15th century to his Grand-daughter Joan, married to Thomas Toke.

The brasses depict William and his wife Avice, their son was a rector of Great Chart from 1458 to 1472 when he became Bishop of Norwich. He was not often resident in the parish, but in 1477 he restored the church which was damaged by fire some years earlier. He is buried in Norwich Cathedral and is commemorated in the east window of the south Chapel of the church.

The brass is on top of an altar tomb which was moved to its present position in the 19th century restoration. Brass escutcheons of Thomas Goldwell, William Goldwell, and John toke were added to the sides. Various parts of the brass are missing including the children.
William and Avice both died in the year 1485.
The prayer scrolls ask God for Mercy in slightly different Latin prayers, for example "Fili Redemptor Mundi, Deus, Miserere Nobis".
St Mary's church, Great Chart

Grade I listed.

A church has stood on this site probably since the 12th century, although it is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The early church probably just consisted of the chancel and nave, possibly with the tower.

The church was rebuilt in the 14th century when the present layout was adopted. The chancel is longer than the nave. The 14th century church had a high pitched roof spanning both aisles, the outside walls were very low
in the mid-15th century a fire damaged the church and it was restored by the rector James Goldwell, who in 1472 became Bishop of Norwich. There is a window in the east end depicting him.
After the restoration the church was as it is now, the walls were raised to admit larger windows and the aisles were covered with flat leaded roofs. A Rood screen and loft were built, and the nave walls were raised to allow clerestory windows to be built.

The church consists of chancel, nave with north and south aisles, a west tower, porch and vestry. There is a north and a south Chapel.
The base of the tower dates from the 14th century, but the upper part is 15th century. Like the rest of the church, it is constructed of Kentish Ragstone, which was quarried locally.
The north Chapel contains an altar tomb to William and Avice Goldwell, and also brasses and memorials to the Toke family who owned the Godinton estate nearby.

The chancel, which is 14th century originally had 4 Bay arcades, but these were replaced in the 15th century by 3 unequal arches to accommodate the Rood screen. The east wall was rebuilt in 1866. There is a stone reredos from 1912.
The south Chapel, which contains the organ has 14th century windows with original 15th century glass.
The nave has 3 Bay arcades of octagonal piers with clerestory windows.
Although the vestry is mainly 19th century, the jambs of the door early Norman, circa 1080.
The south porch is 15th century, as is the font.

The church contains several brasses and memorial windows to the Toke family.

The roof was repaired in 2012.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ9741, 122 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 9 December, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 10 December, 2013
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Marys 
Place (from Tags)
Great Chart 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 9797 4191 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:8.5331N 0:49.7249E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 9797 4190
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Brass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 153 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark