TR1041 : Brass of Isabel, Lady Clifton, Brabourne church

taken 9 years ago, near to Brabourne, Kent, Great Britain

Brass of Isabel, Lady Clifton, Brabourne church
Brass of Isabel, Lady Clifton, Brabourne church

Grade 1 listed

There has been a church since Saxon times, mention of it was made in 1070.
The current church dates from the late 12th century, and is rather large due to its ownership of Horton Priory.
There is a squat western tower, nave with a late 13th century south aisle, chancel and south Chapel built by Sir William Scott in the 15th century. The church is built from Flint with ragstone, and a tiled roof.

The original Norman tower was repaired around 1700 and a large buttress constructed to strengthen the remaining 12th century work. The doorway is late 12th century, although it has been strengthened by an inner arch. Inside, the tower has an ancient staircase consisting of 31 feet long oak beams with triangular treads fixed by pegs the whole structure was worked with an Adze. The tower arch is 12th century.
The north side of the nave is mostly Norman, there is a perpendicular window, and outside a wooden porch with a holy water stoup. The nave has a three bay arcade with round piers, and small clerestory windows above.

The north side of the chancel is Norman with a string course, round headed windows and the priests doorway in the west bay. This narrow door, has a tympanum beneath the semicircular mouldings. The window at the east end was replaced and is there is now a four light perpendicular window.
The chancel contains a wealth of Norman carving, for example a Dragon and ahead with long plaited hair. The capitals of the chancel arch contain more carving. On the north wall there is a window complete with Norman glass. This is said to have been unaltered since the 12th century. Sadly, a lot of the stained glass was sold in 1774 apart from this window.
In the north wall is the tomb of Sir John Scott, having an arched canopy and an embattled roof. The tomb once housed either a recumbent effigy or brasses. Sir John died in 1485 and was a Privy Councillor, the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports and Comptroller of the household to Edward IV. Above the tomb there is a funeral helm of a Knight, probably Sir Thomas Scott.
At the east end of the chancel there is a large tomb which now serves as an altar. This is from circa 1600. It consists of five panels with Shields to record alliances and marriages from 1292 to 1562. It is thought that the monument was erected for Reginald Scott (regarded as the father of the Magic Circle in England).
There are two arched openings on the south wall which probably contained tombs of the early members of the Scott family. One is most certainly that of Sir William Scott who died in 1350.
On the south side of the chancel is a unique feature consisting of a square projection apparently intended as an altar. There is a reredos with crocketts and finials and beneath is a blank shield. It is dated to between 1280 and 1320, and there is little doubt that this structure is a Heart shrine, probably for the heart of John Balliol, founder of Balliol College Oxford, who died in 1269.

The South Chapel dates from the 15th century and has been the burial place the Scotts for generations.
On the floor there are four brasses which were transferred from the chancel in 1980. The largest is to Sir William Scott who died in 1433 who is portrayed in full armour standing upon a greyhound. There are also brasses to Sir William Scott, died 1524, and two women. These are Isabel, Lady Clifton, wife of the first Sir William and to Dame Elizabeth Pownynges, daughter of Sir John Scott. She died in 1528.

See other images of St Mary's church, Brabourne
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TR1041, 125 images   (more nearby search)
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 11 July, 2013   (more nearby)
Tuesday, 16 July, 2013
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Church (from Tags)
St Marys 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 1036 4167 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:8.1389N 1:0.3288E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 1036 4168
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
Church Brass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 49 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
thumbs up icon