NS3477 : The Geils family burial ground

taken 9 years ago, near to Cardross, Argyll And Bute, Great Britain

The Geils family burial ground
The Geils family burial ground
This gated enclosure is located within the churchyard, at the north-eastern corner of the former church building. For context, see NS3477 : Cardross Old Parish Church, which shows the same enclosure, from outside, at the rear of the church.

The text of all the inscriptions to be found here would run to too great a length, but many of them are given on pages 59-61 of Donald MacLeod's "Historic Families ... of the Lennox" (1891).

It will suffice to give one example here, in part: of the two upright red marble tablets standing together on the left, the leftmost one commemorates Joseph Tucker Geils and "his wife Hester Elizabeth Wilson or Bessis, eldest daughter of Col Nathan Wilson", etc.

It is presumably their initials that appear (as ITG and HEG) on an NS3478 : Old wellhead, Geilston Gardens; those gardens are located just under a mile to the north-west of this burial ground. The initials JTG likewise appear on nearby NS3478 : Geilston Halls: see NS3477 : Geilston Halls: detail.

The Geils family were notable landowners in the area. However, Geilston, one of the areas with which they were associated, is not named after them; as explained in another item on NS3477 : Cardross Old Parish Church, that place-name considerably pre-dates the family's presence in the area.

For other lands that belonged to the Geils family, see the end of the item NS4274 : Dumbuck Quarry, and NS4673 : The Geils Memorial (in Old Kilpatrick).
Cardross Old Parish Church

The first church on this site was erected in 1643-44; it replaced St Serf's Church LinkExternal link as parish church of Cardross. It, in turn, was replaced by Cardross Old Parish Church (1826-27; architect James Dempster); see LinkExternal link (at Canmore) for details. It was damaged by WWII bombing (1941), and is no longer in ecclesiastical use. The present-day parish church is the nearby former Free Church (NS34467754) on Station Road.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3477, 156 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 18 January, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 12 February, 2013
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3493 7729 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.6104N 4:38.7509W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3494 7728
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 174 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark