TF2157 : Brass of William Moor. Holy Trinity church, Tattershall

taken 9 years ago, near to Tattershall, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Brass of William Moor. Holy Trinity church, Tattershall
Brass of William Moor. Holy Trinity church, Tattershall
William Moor, d.1456, Bachelor of Divinity, was the 2nd warden of Tattershall College. He also held the offices of Canon of York Minster and Rector of Leadenham nr Sleaford. He was presented to the Wardenship on the resignation of Thomas Ripholme in 1443 and held it until his death in 1456.
Moor’s brass was made in the brass engraving workshop patronised by the Cromwell family and their kin; the London D workshop, located to the south of Fleet Street and at its time run by the marbler, Richard Stevens. It comprises a figure of a priest in mass vestments 27 inches high and a plate inscription. The effigy is an “off the peg” figure, but the inscription is a highly individualised composition in 12 Latin verses with a play on Moor’s name:
Translation:
"William they called him at home, a man who manfully managed / More was his name: none more mild, more inclined to moral behaviour; / Prudent and kind to the poor, second Provost of Tattershall College, / Canon he was in the Minster of York, and at Ledenham, Rector / Special, and skilled as a graduate scholar in Scriptural study; / Low in the earth he now lies, his corpse for the worms a banquet, / Faithful and pious he was, till he died, nineteenth of October; / Fourteen hundred the year, six and sixty more, then he was buried: / Prosper his soul, in heaven above us for ever and ever!"
Moor’s brass was originally in the chancel, located between the Cromwell family tombs and Hugh de Gondeby’s brass, a position appropriate to his status as 2nd Warden of the College. The brass is now in the North transept, while the original slab has been moved to the nave. It shows that the original composition included four roundels, presumably for evangelists’ symbols, at the corners.
The way his date of death is incorporated in the verse shows that the brass was a posthumous commission. Stylistically it dates to shortly after his death in 1456, but may have first been placed temporarily in the old church, as the building of the new church was probably not begun until after 1469, though the chancel was completed by 1475-6.

See other images of Tattershall Brasses
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF2157, 388 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 18 August, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 30 August, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Tattershall 
Church (from Tags)
Holy Trinity 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 212 575 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:6.0997N 0:11.4713W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 212 575
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Brass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 181 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark