TQ9434 : Brass of Nicholas De Gore, All saints' church, Woodchurch

taken 10 years ago, near to Woodchurch, Kent, Great Britain

Brass of Nicholas De Gore, All saints' church, Woodchurch
Brass of Nicholas De Gore, All saints' church, Woodchurch
"Master Nicol de Gore lies in this place.
We pray that Jesus Christ of His Grace will grant him mercy."
All Saints' church, Woodchurch

The date of the present building maybe estimated by the predominant 13th century early English architecture.
There are records that indicate the existence of an earlier church in the parish. The Early English chancel and Nave data back to the 13th century, and the tower is of the same period. The south and north aisles were either built or extended to the present width in the 14th and 15th century.
The North porch has a priests room or parvise over it and is 15th century
The North Chapel is 14th century Perpendicular, although many of the windows have undergone alterations and restoration over various times.
The North Wall of the chancel has double squints.
The Chancel contains the brass of Nicholas DeGore which lies in its original leger stone in front of the pulpit. It was removed for better preservation from the centre of the gangway. It has lost its stem and the finials of the Quatrefoil that encircles the figure of a priest. It dates from 1333, one of the oldest brasses in England.
The brasses found in the nave were once on the Tudor tomb of Thomas Harlakenden built against the North wall of the chancel. It had a canopy and covered the opening of an Easter Sepulchre. The Tomb was demolished in 1848 and the brasses now stand against the east wall of the South Chapel.
The brasses depict Thomas Harlakenden (d 1558) his two wives (Elizabeth and Margaret) and their children. Of the sons, only three outlived their father. George the eldest inherited, but died in 1565. He was succeeded by Martin the fourth son. Thomas' second wife Margaret outlived him, dying in 1580. She seems to have been a wealthy woman, very capable in business.
There is also a memorial inscription of Roger Harlakenden (d 1523). His tomb is now beneath the organ.
The font is late 12th century on a 19th century platform.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ9434, 75 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 21 April, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 21 April, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Woodchurch 
Church (from Tags)
All Saints 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 9419 3491 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:4.8384N 0:46.2609E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 9419 3491
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Brass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 58 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark