TQ4700 : St Andrew's Church, Bishopstone- war memorials

taken 10 years ago, near to Bishopstone, East Sussex, Great Britain

St Andrew's Church, Bishopstone- war memorials
St Andrew's Church, Bishopstone- war memorials
War Memorials

Many war memorials appeared in British towns and cities after the South African War of 1899-1902 (known popularly as the Boer War), but most were constructed after the First World War, known to contemporaries as the Great War (1914-19). These were updated after the Second World War (1939-45), usually by adding a plaque with the names of those killed in that conflict. Almost every town and village in Britain has a memorial erected after the Great War, the commonest types taking the form of a cross, an obelisk or a statue of a soldier. Some occupy a prominent public space; others stand in the local cemetery or can be found inside the local church. Memorials usually commemorate the inhabitants of a particular locality, the former pupils of a school, or the members of a military unit or branch of the armed forces. Other memorials, often bronze plaques placed indoors, commemorate the employees of a private company or public institution.

St Andrew's church, Bishopstone

Grade I listed

The church may be one of the earliest in Sussex, and consists of a western tower, south porch, nave with north aisle, choir and chancel(sanctuary).
The porch and nave are largely Saxon, the tower is 12th century, as is the north aisle and choir. The sanctuary at the east end was added towards the end of the 12th century.
There were several restorations in the 19th century, and further repairs in the 1950s.

The south porch was once used as a side chapel, and also contains a 14th century niche which was possibly an Easter Sepulchre. Above the door there is a Saxon sundial with the name "Eadric", who may have been a Bishop. The sundial marks the four tides of the day.

The tower is of four stages which was added to the west end of the Saxon church. Inside there is a recovered coffin slab from the 12th century, which was discovered in the 19th century. There are two bells from the 18th century.

The nave is also Saxon, no later than the 10th century. The nave and choir roof were restored in 1885.
The chancel, which is now the choir dates from the 12th century and has two bays with Chevron ornamentation.
The font is simple 12th century type with a square bowl.

The church contains windows from Clayton and Bell and James Powell & Sons mainly from the late 19th and early 20th century.
There is a modest two manual organ.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Basher Eyre and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ4700, 151 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 24 March, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 29 March, 2012
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  People, Events  Defence, Military 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 4725 0097 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:47.3763N 0:5.2631E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 4725 0096
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 21 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark