TQ3104 : 44-47 Gardner Street

taken 10 years ago, near to Brighton and Hove, Great Britain

44-47 Gardner Street
44-47 Gardner Street
With the exception of buildings lost to road widening at either end of the street this is the only rebuild that has occurred here since the 1820s. Numbers 44, 45, 45a, 46 and 47 were demolished in 1965 by the occupants of number 44, Tesco to build a modern supermarket. See LinkExternal link for an image taken in 1965 prior to demolition and one taken in the early 1970s LinkExternal link. With the growth of motor car use particularly in relation to weekly shopping habits Tesco decided that the building no longer served their needs and moved out around 1979 though I imagine they were kicking themselves when trends began to move back towards smaller local stores in the late 1990s. Tesco did managed to get themselves into the North Laine in 2005 as part of the new Jubilee Street development a couple of streets to the east. After a brief period as a discount store the building remained empty until 1984 when it reopened as the Jubilee Shopping Hall containing a number of stalls on a number of different floors as well as a separate shop given the number 44. One of those who traded in the hall, Borderline, now operates from TQ3104 : 41 Gardner Street. The shopping hall remained in place until the late 1990s when Komedia, a comedy venue who had outgrown its original premises on Manchester Street put forward plans to develop it as a small comedy venue and restaurant combined. This duly opened in 1998 along with a new shop at the eastern end of the building given the number 47 and other than a change of restaurant has largely remained the same ever since.

OCCUPANTS 44-47 only
1965-79: SUPERMARKET: Tesco
1980-81: DISCOUNT STORE: Keen Prices
1982-88: SPORTS SHOP: Alpine Sports (44 only)
1984-97: INDOOR MARKET: Jubilee Shopping Hall
1998-2011: ARTS VENUE: Komedia
1998-2011: RESTAURANT: Curve Bar (1998-2005), Gourmet Burger Bar (2008-11)

NUMBER 44
From 1845 until its demolition 120 years later the shop saw a large turnover of businesses coming in and out with only the 36 years of Thomas Castleden the only long tenure of note. AE Kent had traded at TQ3104 : 11 Sydney Street before the war.

OCCUPANTS
1845-48: CURRIER: Josiah Lane
1862-71: TAILOR/DRAPER: A Morrison (1862-65), H Denham (1867-71)
1884-1920: CARVER/GILDER: Thomas Castleden
1921-22: PICTURE FRAMER: Alfred Gates
1923-26: PROVISIONAL MERCHANT: AW Moxey (1923-25), Mrs Artus (1926)
1927: OUTFITTERS: Mrs Brockes
1928-29: GRAMOPHONE DEALERS: J West
1930: CYCLE DEALER: Joseph Westrich
1931-34: OUTFITTER: L Smith
1936-38: GOWNS: Blue Arcade
1939-40: BOOK REPOSITORY: Chain Libraries Ltd
1947-60: BISCUIT MAKER: AE Kent & Co
1962-65: GROCER: Tesco

NUMBER 45
A private house until the 1890s 45 was the polar opposite to 44 with just two shops here in 72 years. The national chain of Freeman, Hardy & Willis also had a shop nearby at 83 North Road which continued trading into the 1960s, whilst Aird & Co had originally been founded next door at 45a and had expanded into this shop just before the war. The firm moved to 14 Bond Street in 1965 amalgamating with another tool shop called Swift & Co and are still trading there today.

OCCUPANTS
1893-1939: SHOE SHOP: Freeman, Hardy & Willis
1940-65: TOOL SPECIALIST: Aird & Co

NUMBER 45a
Like 45 the building remained in residential use until the early 1890s after which it briefly became tailor when a tool dealer called William Aird. Aird and his successors were to trade here for the next 67 years, expanding into neighbouring 45 in the process and moving to 14 Bond Street once plans for demolition were put in motion.

OCCUPANTS
1893-96: TAILOR: Samuel Atkins
1898-1965: TOOL SPECIALIST: William Aird (1898-1911), Aird & Co (1912-65)

NUMBER 46
Like 44 the shop has had a huge turnover of businesses passing through and only started settling once 46 had been combined with neighbouring 47.

OCCUPANTS
1879-80: TOY DEALER: M Trower
1881: FISHING TACKLE: A Stoner
1883: DRAPER: A Grinstead
1884-90: OUTFITTER: A Pawson
1891-95: HOSIER/HATTER: G Cottrell
1896-98: TRUNK MAKER; Holway Bailey
1899-1907: HOSIER: Barnard
1911: CONFECTIONER: C Johnson
1912: WARDROBE DEALER: Thomas More
1913-15: TAILOR: Ailion (1913), Charles (1914-15)
1916-17: TOOL SPECIALIST: Aird & Co
1918: MILLINER: Gina Harris
1919-27: CUTLERS: FN Vivian & Co
1928-65: GREENGROCER: Frederick Carter (1928-31), English & Colonial Fruit Store (1934-40), HA Silverthorne (1947-65)

NUMBER 47
see TQ3104 : 47 Gardner Street
Gardner Street History

Gardner Street lies between Church Street to the south and North Road to the north and is the second of the four shopping streets that make up the North Laine area. The street was developed from 1805 onwards by John Furner on the site of his market garden, hence the name. The garden had been located on what was the First Furlong of the former field known as the North Laine. All the houses were built as three stories which assisted in the street adapting to retail fairly early on and by the 1880s century all of the ground floors had been converted.

As Brighton expanded northwards during the 19th century the street, along with neighbouring North Road, became the major shopping street for the local community in the tightly packed terraces that sprang up during that period. Slightly more upmarket than Kensington Gardens and Sydney Street to the north, it would eventually attract the first retail chains, Home & Colonial Stores, Pearks, Maypole Diaries, Freeman, Hardy & Willis, and Marks & Spencer on the corner of North Road. Another, Tesco, would later see off many of these as well as change part of the street architecturally. Despite this a number of small businesses from the Victorian era survived into the 1980s; Terry's the jeweller, traded for 118 years before closing in 1986, Bolton the Egg Merchant until 1984, and most famously, Bealls & Co, the cork merchants closed in 1983 after 100 years and being the last of its kind in the country.

Changes in retail began around the 1960s, particularly the arrival of Tesco, who knocked down four houses to build a new superstore and began to drive the local food stores out of business which would eventually be replaced by fashion and clothing stores, particularly from the 1980s once the threat of demolition of the previous decade had been averted. These have been joined by a proliferation of cafes in the last decade helped by the pedestrianisation of the street at weekends allowing the eateries to place seats and tables in the street.

North Laine

The North Laine is an area of central Brighton named after a former field and is home to what some refer to as the Bohemian quarter of the city and also refers to the four main shopping streets of the area; Bond Street, Gardner Street, Kemsington Gardens and Sydney Street. A laine was a Sussex term for a large field often but not exclusively bordering downland and regularly split into smaller holdings known as furlongs which themselves were split into even smaller strips known as ‘paul pieces’. This medieval set up survived within the old parish of Brighton well into the 19th century and was to have a profound influence on the street patterns established by the rapid expansion of the town from the 1840s onwards. The original boundary of the field called North Laine ran along what later became Church Street to the south, what are now the Old Steine and London Road (A23) to the east, New England Road the (A270) to the north and the crest of the hill to the west which contains St Nicholas’ church. The North Laine itself was split into smaller rectangular fields known as furlongs which were both numbered and named, First, Second, Third and Small Furlong for example. Within the furlongs were strips of land maybe 500 ft long but little more than 12 to 20 feet wide known as paul pieces which were farmed by individual lease or freeholders many of whom owned more than one but more often than not these were not contiguous. In order to access these individual strips paths between the furlongs existed known as leakways and often ran east to west.

As Brighton began expanding northwards in the 1820s these strips began to acquire a value as developmental land and were purchased and built on as and when they were acquired, to build a whole street required two adjacent paul pieces though often a developer would build one side of a street then await the sale of the land on the opposite for himself or another developer to complete. Furthermore, the existence of the leakways meant developers need not wait for land to become vacant in a specific order. For example, Kensington Gardens was constructed in the 1820s in the middle of the Second Furlong and remained surrounded by fields for a couple more decades. The leakways themselves became streets; North Road separates First and Second Furlong; Gloucester Road, second and third; Trafalgar Street, third and fourth; Cheapside, fourth and short; and Ann Street, short and crooked.

The slow move northwards was given huge impetus by the arrival of the railway and resulting works in the 1840s onwards which required housing for the new workers and within a decade the whole of the former North Laine had been developed into tightly packed streets that followed the old pattern of the former medieval field system. For many decades the area was a working class district containing workshops, small industries and the odd slum, part of the north west was demolished to make way for the new locomotive works and goods yard but little else changed with much of the area surviving the first large scale slum clearances of the 1930s before that was bought to a halt by the Second World War. It was in the postwar era when the more progressive elements within the town planning sphere decided that the housing stock had reached the end of its natural life and needed replacing. During the 1960s the whole neighbourhood bounded by the goods yard, London Road, New England Road and Trafalgar Street was demolished with many residents dispersed to new estates on the edge of town or into Theobald House a high rise block immediately to the north of Trafalgar Street with the rest of the area given over to office blocks, multi storey car parks or small business premises.

The planners then moved their gaze onto the rest of the North Laine and began plans to demolish much of it in order to build more multi storey car parks as well as a new flyover to bring the cars to them. It was at this point that residents and traders organised themselves and put their foot down and the name of North Laine was reborn appearing in the title of the community association that was set up in 1976. The brave new world of planning from the 1960s had given way to the less confident 1970s with the desire to preserve greater by those having witnessed the destruction and loss of the previous decade as well as influencing many of those within the decision making processes. By 1977 the local council had renamed it the North Laine Conservation Area and thus began a new chapter in the life of this part of Brighton. Initially the shops in the area still served local concerns and those following the route that linked the two main shopping areas of Brighton, the town centre and London Road. The threat of demolition had also meant the area was cheap to rent and attracted many small operators starting out (famously Anita Roddick began the Body Shop in Kensington Gardens) and others forced out through high rents elsewhere – the antiques trade in particular were forced into the area from The Lanes due to this. The North Laine traders have also fought tooth and nail to keep the main chains out of the area which they by and large have succeeded in doing though some such as Starbucks and Tesco have gained a small foothold through the new Jubilee Street development. Gradually, the retail trade has moved away from the butchers, bakers and greengrocers and the needs of everyday life towards the lifestyle based desires and services.

The North Laine remains a popular destination today for students, out of towners and locals looking for items not normally found on the high street and still retains the anything goes atmosphere that has been built up over the last thirty years or so.

FURTHER READING
Sue Berry - Georgian Brighton (Phillimore, 2005)
Tim Carder - The Encyclopedia of Brighton (Brighton Libraries, 1990)

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Simon Carey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3104, 1934 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 25 September, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 30 September, 2011
Category
Venue   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3114 0447 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:49.4956N 0:8.3673W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3112 0445
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 406 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark