TQ3104 : 18 Gardner Street

taken 10 years ago, near to Brighton and Hove, Great Britain

18 Gardner Street
18 Gardner Street
Once one of three beer houses on the street, the others being TQ3104 : 4 Gardner Street and TQ3104 : 12 Gardner Street, it operated for just over a hundred years before it closed in the mid 1950s. After a brief stint as a shoe shop it became a coffee merchants that became well known for a coffee grinder it put outside its door which flooded the street with the smell of freshly ground coffee. The company traded here for 27 years before closing in the early 90s to be replaced by a hairdressers then a florist who originally traded at TQ3104 : 47 Gardner Street before moving here and trying the novel approach of joining forces with Jollygood Chocolates, who moved out of TQ3104 : 49 Gardner Street, to try and fleece gentlemen of even more cash when trying to apologise to their wife or partner after a minor indiscretion. It didn't work and they were replaced by the current incumbanys, Kissing Fish, who moved here from their original store in North Street to trade in ethnic and fair trade goods and gifts.

OCCUPANTS
1845-48: BOOT/SHOE MAKER: Harry Osborne
1854-1954: BEER HOUSE: The Harp
1956-60: BAKER: Thomson's Bakeries
1962: SHOE SHOP: Avenue Shoe Company
1964-91: COFFEE MERCHANTS: Coffee Mill Ltd
1992-2001: LADIES HAIRDRESSER: Polo Hair Group
2002-05: FLORIST; Botanica
2006-11; GIFT SHOP: Kissing Fish
Gardner Street History

Gardner Street lies between Church Street to the south and North Road to the north and is the second of the four shopping streets that make up the North Laine area. The street was developed from 1805 onwards by John Furner on the site of his market garden, hence the name. The garden had been located on what was the First Furlong of the former field known as the North Laine. All the houses were built as three stories which assisted in the street adapting to retail fairly early on and by the 1880s century all of the ground floors had been converted.

As Brighton expanded northwards during the 19th century the street, along with neighbouring North Road, became the major shopping street for the local community in the tightly packed terraces that sprang up during that period. Slightly more upmarket than Kensington Gardens and Sydney Street to the north, it would eventually attract the first retail chains, Home & Colonial Stores, Pearks, Maypole Diaries, Freeman, Hardy & Willis, and Marks & Spencer on the corner of North Road. Another, Tesco, would later see off many of these as well as change part of the street architecturally. Despite this a number of small businesses from the Victorian era survived into the 1980s; Terry's the jeweller, traded for 118 years before closing in 1986, Bolton the Egg Merchant until 1984, and most famously, Bealls & Co, the cork merchants closed in 1983 after 100 years and being the last of its kind in the country.

Changes in retail began around the 1960s, particularly the arrival of Tesco, who knocked down four houses to build a new superstore and began to drive the local food stores out of business which would eventually be replaced by fashion and clothing stores, particularly from the 1980s once the threat of demolition of the previous decade had been averted. These have been joined by a proliferation of cafes in the last decade helped by the pedestrianisation of the street at weekends allowing the eateries to place seats and tables in the street.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Simon Carey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3104, 1934 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 25 September, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 29 September, 2011
Category
Shop   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3113 0449 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:49.5065N 0:8.3753W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3114 0449
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 108 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark