WW1 Great War Centenary - Manufacturing in Wolverhampton

( Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright May 2016, John M; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.
geotagged! Links for SO9197 


Contents

Guy Motors Ltd


Guy Motors was a newly built factory on Park Lane building commercial vehicles, in particular a 30cwt lorry.

In 1915 Guy came under control of the Ministry of Munitions and production was focused on the war effort. The factory continued to produce 30cwt lorries which were supplied to Britain's allies in the First World War. They also produced Wasp and Dragonfly radial aircraft engines, Tylor truck engines and Maudslay gearboxes as well as being the country's largest maker of depth charge fuzes.

Of the 832 employees 162 were female.

The company prospered during the war and post-war moved into production of charabancs and trolley buses. A dalliance with car production with acquisition of Star Cars was short-lived.

SJ9200 : Guy Motors, Park Village by John M
Founded by Sidney Guy in 1913 the company produced military vehicles during the First World War. Between the wars Guy Motors built commercial vehicles, coaches and trolleybuses. They were unsuccessful with car production. During the Second World War they were the only company with spare capacity available to build buses. They ran into difficulties in the 1950s as trolleybuses went out of fashion and their other bus designs became dated. The firm went into receivership in 1961, eventually being taken over by Jaguar before coming under BMC. Production or assembly continued on the site until the 1970s. Most of the original buildings have been demolished. Part of the site is now used as an industrial estate.
by John M


KML
geotagged! Further links for SO9197

( Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 )