WW1 Great War Centenary - Manufacturing in Wolverhampton

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright May 2016, John M; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.
geotagged! Links for SO9197 


Contents

H M Hobson Ltd


H M Hobson's Accuracy Works supplied Claudel carburettors to the aircraft engine manufacturers including nearby Sunbeam Motor Company. Of the 330 employees 170 were women.

The company expanded after the war as an aircraft component manufacturer with new factories in Fordhouses continuing as an independent company until taken over by Lucas Aerospace in the 1970s. The company left the Accuracy Works at some time after the Second World War.

The buildings have been split into business units and are currently used by a cleaners and hair & beauty salon.

SO9197 : HM Hobson Accuracy Works by John M
The new engines for Sunbeam Cars designed from 1909 used a Claudel carburettor supplied by Hobsons. To guarantee supplies the Sunbeam identified a suitable factory in Cousins Street where these could be manufactured. The factory was established in 1912. During the First World War the company manufactured Claudel carburettors for aircraft engines.

Original drawings show the buildings as single storey but the cross range has been extended to two storeys.
by John M



SO9197 : H M Hobson - Accuracy Works by John M
The new engines for Sunbeam Cars designed from 1909 used a Claudel carburettor supplied by Hobsons. To guarantee supplies the Sunbeam identified a suitable factory in Cousins Street where these could be manufactured. The factory was established in 1912. During the First World War the company manufactured Claudel carburettors for aircraft engines.

Original drawings show the buildings as single storey but the cross range has been extended to two storeys.
by John M


KML
geotagged! Further links for SO9197

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 )