WW1 Great War Centenary - Manufacturing in Wolverhampton

( Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright May 2016, John M; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.
geotagged! Links for SO9197 


Contents

C W Hayward Ltd


As sidecar manufacturers the fortunes of Haywards is closely tied into local motorcycle manufacturers Sunbeam and AJS. The business operated from a workshop in Sunbeamland supplying sidecars to Sunbeam and AJS. In the first two years of the war business comprised a mixture of civilian and military models for AJS. Civilian motorcycle production was banned in November 1916 and production was switched to military sidecars, machine gun outfits and ammunition carriers for the Army and Russian Government. With the need for larger premises Haywards moved into the former Star Cycles/ Briton Cars premises on Stewart Street.

In the post-war period Haywards merged with AJS motorcycles initially prospering until sidecars were overtaken by more affordable small cars in the 1930s. The company moved to Lower Walsall Street in 1922 to take over the premises of Briton Cars.

SO9197 : Star/Briton/Hayward Works - Stewart Street by John M
Very little remains of the former works. Originally built for Star Cycles it produced Briton Cars from 1909 to 1913. The Briton Car Company continued first in Lower Walsall Street and later in Chillington Fields until 1929. The factory was used by Hayward who produced sidecars here for various manufacturers until 1922 before moving to the premises in Lower Walsall Street vacated by Briton Cars.
by John M


KML
geotagged! Further links for SO9197

( Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 )